SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Epigenetics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Counting reads (not coverage...) smol Bioinformatics 4 08-24-2016 06:11 AM
help with counting reads (only 0 counts were returned) jans General 0 03-23-2014 04:54 PM
miRNA aligning/counting kmcarr Bioinformatics 28 02-08-2013 02:35 PM
counting junction reads muzz56 Bioinformatics 2 02-12-2012 06:36 AM
Counting reads that jump over a position DerSeb Bioinformatics 0 01-17-2011 07:05 AM

Old 01-15-2016, 02:44 AM   #1
sara_

Default Counting reads in miRNA experiment

Counting reads in miRNA experiment

Dear all,
in our lab we are running an Illumina small RNA protocol on human sample to collect miRNA sequence and I am running the bioinformatics part.
During library preparation we are using kit that are unstreanded. After sequencing (Illumina single read) for each sample I got the majority of reads with 5-3' orientation (about 90% of the reads) and "few" reads with orientation 3'-5'.
I have cleaned my raw data removing low quality reads, illumina adapter, reads longer than 27 nt and reads shorter than 17 nt after adapter removing. I aligned to human genome and now I need to assign and count my reads to microRNA. For doing that I am using FeatureCounts (suite subread) and I am using the gff file downloaded from mirBase. I have a doubt in summarizing the reads: do I need to count the reads independently from their orientation? Do I need to sum the reads with orientation 5'-3' and 3'-5'? Or do I only need to count the reads with 5'-3' orientation?
Many thanks,
Sara
sara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
cascoamarillo

Hi,
If the protocol you follow keeps no strand information of RNA ("unstreanded") then I think you should consider no orientation for counting; sum all 5'-3' and 3'-5' reads for the same features. I haven't work with FeatureCounts, with htseq-count (http://www-huber.embl.de/users/ander...doc/count.html) it would be with the --stranded=no option.

Last edited by cascoamarillo; 01-15-2016 at 12:37 PM.
cascoamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 AM   #3
sara_

Hi,
many thanks for your suggestion.
Best,
Sara
sara_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
shi
Wei Shi

With featureCounts, the default setting is unstranded read counting (-s 0).

If you performed unstranded sequencing, the percentage of sense strand reads should be similar to that of antisense strand reads. You may need to check if your sequencing was actually stranded.
shi is offline   Reply With Quote