Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is mpileup limited in the number of samples?

I have been using mpileup with two to six samples for a while, with good results. Today I tried a run with 20 input bam files, and a small percentage of my output lines are truncated. I haven't been able to find a reference to this on the web; my apologies if it has been discussed before.

My use of mpileup is about as simple as can be; I'm just getting the pileups, not doing any calling:
    samtools mpileup -f <reference> <bam-list>

With 20 input files, I expect 63 tab-separated fields per line. In a small percentage of lines, I'm getting 61 fields. When the line is short, it always has 61 fields. In a subset of my data, the total mpileup output is 26,633 lines; of those, 23 are truncated.

I have run mpileup multiple times on the full set of the data and the output files are identical.

If this is not a known problem and my subset bams would be helpful, I can point lh3 at them.

Thanks for any pointers.
    -Al

I never tried it with that many, but I think the place to start is to believe your data. Did you check to see that in those particular areas, that every single sample has at least one read? Because if a sample has no read there, displaying nothing would seem to be what mpileup would do.

Comment

These data are very "thin"; there are many locations that have no reads. However, the mpileup format handles that gracefully, reporting the triple "0\t*\t*" (\t represents a tab character) for any location that is not covered in a sample. So I don't think that these short/truncated lines are caused by the last sample not having a read there. These lines have the 0, but not the following two asterisks and their separating tabs.

Comment

samtools mpileup truncated output

Originally posted by asimons View Post
        These data are very "thin"; there are many locations that have no reads. However, the mpileup format handles that gracefully, reporting the triple "0\t*\t*" (\t represents a tab character) for any location that is not covered in a sample. So I don't think that these short/truncated lines are caused by the last sample not having a read there. These lines have the 0, but not the following two asterisks and their separating tabs.
        Has this been resolved, I am having the same problem with no asterisks after 0 with multiple sample mpileup

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
        • seqadmin
          The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
          by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
          02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
        0 responses