SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEBNext Ultra-Directional RNA Library Prep Kit anna_m Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 10-18-2016 12:01 PM
Ion Plus Fragment Library Prep Efficiency jtackney Ion Torrent 10 07-23-2013 01:31 PM
NEBNext ChIP-Seq library prep kit vs Illumina TruSeq kit? ASL Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 04-10-2013 07:35 PM
Ion Torrent - Fragment Library Construction eca Ion Torrent 1 10-10-2011 02:35 AM
Mate-Paired kit for Fragment library sequencing nedoluzhko SOLiD 2 12-16-2010 05:42 PM

Old 02-15-2016, 10:17 AM   #1
davehwng

Default NEBnext versus Ion Plus Fragment Library kit

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and also new to NGS. Recently, we were donated an Ion PGM with an OT2 set-up. I run a teaching lab (http://bioteach.ubc.ca), and I'm exploring ways to incorporate NGS both into our graduate lab course, our workshops, as well as possible citizen science programming with high school kids.

As a result, our first task is just to set up a decent workflow where we can robustly get data to look at (i.e. our benchmarks are markedly lower as we are not getting "research" relevant data per se and we need to be wary of costs generally). One of our first possible experiments, is to just sequence a small genome using 314 chips (possibly even the e.coli genomic control that is supplied with many of the kits). Here, I see that the Ion Plus kits offered by thermofisher seem to fit the bill, but I also noticed that NEB offers a similar kit but at a greatly reduced cost.

Anyway, I'm wondering why the big difference? And has anyone used the NEBnext kits and found them lacking (and hence I should stick with the more expensive PGMs own line of library prep kits)?

Any help is appreciated!

cheers
dave
davehwng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #2
jhalpin

Talking

I have not used the NEBnext kit, but I do regularly use the Kapa BioSciences kit for IonTorrent libraries. It is significantly less expensive than the Life Tech kit and I get much much better results with it. Not including cleanup or barcodes - just the cost for the fragmentation & library kit - I calculate Kapa comes to $29 per sample while Life Tech is $80. Additionally, Kapa provides a much easier workflow.

If you contact Kapa, they will often give you a discount on a "sample" kit to try. See product KK8300 & KK8301. KK8602 is the fragmentation kit, sold separately. I have not purchased their barcodes, as we're swimming in BIOO barcode kits.

https://www.kapabiosystems.com/produ...r-ion-torrent/
jhalpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
davehwng

Thanks for the info. I'm actually trying to see if I can get some sample kits to try for NEB and Thermofisher (and now maybe Kapa as well). NEB has been super accommodating (sending some free stuff - I think they're keen on our plan to see if we can bring some of these procedures to the high school student level), and haven't heard from Thermofisher yet (although they've been great on helping with instrument set up side of things).
davehwng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
ajthomas

The Ion Torrent-branded kits are much more expensive and I haven't found them to be any better than others. I've used the NEB kit and it works fine. More recently I tried the Kapa kit and I like it better.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Lunch_Eater

Smile

@ajthomas
We are looking at comparing NEBNext and Kapa kits for similar reasons. Can you please elaborate on why you like Kapa better than NEB? Thanks.
Lunch_Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
ajthomas

My preference for the Kapa kit is just a personal preference, not that I found it to work better. I didn't do any side-by-side comparison of the two or anything, I just used them both and found that I preferred the Kapa kit.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
jhalpin

Out of curiosity, does the NEB kit have less cleanup steps?
jhalpin is offline   Reply With Quote