SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VCF to MAF (Mutation Annotation Format)? kasthuri Bioinformatics 5 09-24-2013 12:26 PM
how to construct phylogenetic tree using SNPs tianyub836 Bioinformatics 10 05-21-2013 06:27 AM
BWA not creating rBWT file ramiro2k Bioinformatics 2 03-23-2012 02:27 AM
phylogenetic tree renesh Bioinformatics 7 03-20-2012 08:24 AM
Help Creating a .vam.bai file Desiree Wilson Bioinformatics 3 03-15-2012 01:26 PM

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
mez

Default Creating Phylogenetic tree from MAF format file

I hope this is relevant to the discussions here.

I am working on a metagenome project and have genome sequences of several strains of a bacteria species, un-assembled, but in contig reads. I used the mugsy program to align them and I have been trying to find a tool to create a tree out of the MAF format file I generated, but I am having issues because of the nature of the original sequences being in contigs rather than assembled.

I am hoping someone jas worked with unassembled genomes with contig reads and could be able to point me to how I could generate an acceptable multi-alignment format from the data

Thanks as always.

mez.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
themerlin

I'm a little unclear about your question. If you have contigs, then you are working with an assembly. Do you mean that you are working with overlapping paired-end reads?
themerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
mez

Sorry, I guess I should say the reads have been assembled into contigs, I was having trouble aligning the genomes of the different strains, but I am making progress on that now. Just trying to figure how best to use the MAF format file generated to create a phylogenetic tree.
mez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
themerlin

I'm not sure that you can create a tree from a MAF file with overlapping reads. With Mugsy, you usually provide separate files for each genome and then infer a tree from sequence conserved in each block. If you can get your MAF file in this format, you can create a FASTA alignment with Galaxy or with scripts in the bx-python package (https://bitbucket.org/james_taylor/bx-python/wiki/Home).
themerlin is offline   Reply With Quote