SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ion Torrent RNA library prep miRman RNA Sequencing 2 04-30-2014 11:25 AM
Ion Torrent versus 454 FLX Junior rubenken The Pipeline 6 07-24-2012 03:29 AM
ion torrent protocols could help 454 users? jasmineja 454 Pyrosequencing 0 02-11-2012 10:07 PM
SOLiD library on Ion Torrent GenomicIBK Ion Torrent 3 11-17-2011 03:39 AM
Ion Torrent - Fragment Library Construction eca Ion Torrent 1 10-10-2011 02:35 AM

Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #1
jagodoy

Default Running a 454 library in Ion torrent?

Hi all,

We have a shotgun library prepared for 454 and would like to run it in ion torrent for extra data. We learned that the sequencing adaptor A is shared, but that the other adaptor is not (P1 for torrent, B for 454). The B adapter was, however, used in torrent some time ago and its sequence seems to be still present in the be bead, following P1. So the questions are:

- Should we convert by ligating just P1 adaptor?
- Any chance that we could run with no additional library conversion?
- Can an emulsion made with 454 primers and beads be loaded directly in torrent?

Any input will be most appreciated.
jagodoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
bunce

Hi, The 454 LibL 'A' adapter is the same... but the LibA 'A' is not - you need to check this.

once you have figured this out the easiest way to adapt the library is to design a 454 "B" to ion torrent P1 fusion primer and then PCR amplify your library (together with an 'A' primer) for an appropriate number of cycles (keep it as low as possible, say 10-15 cycles). Then you can use A/P1 primers to quant the library.

We have converted a few libraries in this way.
Good luck!
bunce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #3
JeremyDay
Registered Vendor

Just to add to above (or amend) I think 10-15 cycles is prob over kill. If you have an established library already, even 6 cycles will yield 97% new ends. You can start with 5-10ng and 6 cycles will give plenty of product.
JeremyDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
jagodoy

Thanks both Bunce and JeremyDay for the input.

We were trying to avoid additional PCR cycles, but this sounds like the most promising strategy. We are indeed using 454 LilL A adapter so we'll give it a try ...

We learned that wells in torrent are smaller, so 454 beads are anticipated to work.
jagodoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
ajthomas

I've done something similar as well. In my case, however, it was Lib-A library that I converted, so I used two different primers. I made one that used part of the Lib-A A adapter to switch it to the IT-A adapter, and did the same thing at the other end to switch the B to P1. There was still part of both of the old adapters left, but that didn't cause a problem.

You just need to be careful of your library size. The One Touch is more sensitive to library size than the 454 emPCR chemistry is, and if the fragments are too big you won't get anything.
ajthomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, adapters, library conversion, torrent