No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check transposon activity

Hi all,

We are working with the Nextera Tagmentation Library Kit on 3 kb PCR products, to eventually pool libraries of 96 PCR reactions for a MiSeq run.

Tagmentation is done by plainly adding the enzyme + buffer to a dilution of the PCR reaction (no purification).

This generally works very well. However, for my last two library preps, my bioanalyzer traces ended up with a large peak at 3 kb (likely the original input), and nearly nothing in the 300-450 bp range.

This makes me believe that tagmentation was not effective.

Two potential culprits:

1) New PCR buffer (NEB Phusion HF Buffer) that includes detergent. Might not have been diluted enough and could have inhibited the transposon (final dilution of PCR buffer during tagmentation step was 1:25).

2) Loss of transposon activity. Kit technically expired six months ago; and it was accidentally thawed for several hours a few months ago. But we used it successfully after this accidental thaw.

I was thinking about an easy way to confirm that transposon activity is still there (without having immediate access to a bioanalyzer):

Purify PCR product > Tagmentation step according to Nextera protocol > Check whether the PCR band (ca. 3 kb) is gone (i.e., only smear or nothing detectable left).

Would that make sense to identify a loss in enzyme activity? Or would we not expect full tagmentation (i.e., complete loss of the 3 kb bnad) even for "fresh" enzyme.

Thanks!

I would suggest to do a reaction according to standard protocol from start to end and check the resulting library. Tagmented DNA will not migrate according to size becuase:
    1- transposon will be engaged with DNA and slow its migration speed
    2- presence of salts in the buffer

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses