Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining RNA-seq datasets

I searched a lot of threads here and elsewhere without finding anything exactly like this.

I have two RNA-seq datasets from different dates and different platforms. Split between them are 4 groups (normal and 3 stages of cancer). This is the distribution:

Set 1
    1x normal
    2x stage 1
    3x stage 2
    7x stage 3

Set 2
    2x normal
    2x stage 1
    2x stage 2
    2x stage 3

We want to combine the datasets and make comparisons between the groups for differential expression. So far, I've tried:

-Combine all FPKM values into 1 table
    -Run ComBat on the table, specifying dataset as batch and stage as a covariate
    -Skipped voom() since they are not raw counts and log2 converted the ComBat output for limma.
    -Run lmFit, contrasts.fit, and eBayes from limma on the converted output.

My questions/confusion is over:

1. Should I be using FPKM values or the raw counts for this, given the two datasets and need for batch removal?

2. What is the best way to run limma on the ComBat output without conversion through voom()?

3. Are there any other glaring problems with this approach?

Thanks!

Hi -
    Were you able to find a solution to this problem?

Comment

This is actually a very common type of RNA-seq analysis where we combine two datasets. You can run voom and limma on the raw counts, as you would for any analysis. When you form the design matrix, include a term for the batch effect like this:

design <- model.matrix(~Stage+Set)

Here Set is the batch factor taking values "Set1" and "Set2" and Stage is the experimental factor taking values "Normal", "Stage1", "Stage2" and "Stage3".

This is very standard type of analysis. There is no need for any external batch correction such as Combat.

Comment

Hi Gordon- Thanks for your reply.
        I am a beginner in this. I know how to use DESeq2 to analyze RNASeq data from tables generated by summarizeOverlaps function. I was wondering how would your suggestion be implemented in this.
        Hussein

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Smyth View Post
          This is actually a very common type of RNA-seq analysis where we combine two datasets. You can run voom and limma on the raw counts, as you would for any analysis. When you form the design matrix, include a term for the batch effect like this:

design <- model.matrix(~Stage+Set)

Here Set is the batch factor taking values "Set1" and "Set2" and Stage is the experimental factor taking values "Normal", "Stage1", "Stage2" and "Stage3".

This is very standard type of analysis. There is no need for any external batch correction such as Combat.
          I have been using limma for a while now, but I am also a bit unsure about the syntax of the model.matrix command when it comes to batch effects, random effects, paired design, etc.

If I understood correctly, then I don't need to use any special command like removeBatchEffect() ? I see this command come up on some Bioconductor threads when I google. But I no longer see it in the limma manual. Is this now deprecated?

Thank you for talking the time to answer my question.

Comment

Originally posted by NGSfan View Post
            If I understood correctly, then I don't need to use any special command like removeBatchEffect() ? I see this command come up on some Bioconductor threads when I google. But I no longer see it in the limma manual. Is this now deprecated?
            Type ?removeBatchEffect to read the documentation page. The documentation page explains that it is used to make unsupervised plots rather than for differential expression analyses.

This is the way that removeBatchEffect has always been treated. It has not been removed from any documentation.
            Last edited by Gordon Smyth; 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM. Reason: minor grammar improvement

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses