No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picard FixMateInformation error?

Hi all,

I am having some issues with picards FixMateInformation functions and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems. I have bam files which have been had duplicates marked using picard and local realignment around indels with GATK, but when I then follow with FixMateInformation it runs nicely for a while before I get the following error

Exception in thread "main" net.sf.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
    at net.sf.samtools.util.SortingCollection.spillToDisk(SortingCollection.java:228)
    at net.sf.samtools.util.SortingCollection.add(SortingCollection.java:150)
    at net.sf.samtools.SAMFileWriterImpl.addAlignment(SAMFileWriterImpl.java:157)
    at net.sf.picard.sam.FixMateInformation.writeAlignment(FixMateInformation.java:259)
    at net.sf.picard.sam.FixMateInformation.doWork(FixMateInformation.java:181)
    at net.sf.picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:175)
    at net.sf.picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMainWithExit(CommandLineProgram.java:118)
    at net.sf.picard.sam.FixMateInformation.main(FixMateInformation.java:74)
    Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
    at java.io.FileOutputStream.write(Native Method)
    at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.writeInt(SnappyOutputStream.java:105)
    at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.dump(SnappyOutputStream.java:126)
    at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.flush(SnappyOutputStream.java:100)
    at org.xerial.snappy.SnappyOutputStream.close(SnappyOutputStream.java:137)
    at net.sf.samtools.util.SortingCollection.spillToDisk(SortingCollection.java:219)
    ... 7 more

No new fixed files result from this apart from empty temp files. I tried using samtools fix mate, and I thought it worked until I opened the new bams with IGV and noticed my reads were in red because the pairs are not mapped!

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks,
    Elliott

When you have a question like this you should include the commands you used.

That said, it appears to say your problem is that you have no space left on device, so maybe it isn't specific to FixMates?

Comment

"No space left on device" - you've run out of disk space, or your allocation of it. Try having a look at the situation with 'df -h'. If you can redirect Picards temporary files somewhere else you might want to do that, if it appears you have enough disk space to store the output files.

Comment

similar error

Hello,

I am trying to run GATK local realignment and then the FixMateInformation with picard and got the same error
        .....net.sf.picard.sam.FixMateInformation done....
        Exception in thread "main" net.sf.samtools.util.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: No space left on device...

I have more than enough same left on the device and I even tried to specify the temp folder
        java -Xmx4g -jar FixMateInformation.jar \
        INPUT=file.realigned.bam \
        OUTPUT=file.realigned.fixedmateinfo.bam \
        SO=coordinate \
        VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT \
        CREATE_INDEX=true \
        TMP_DIR=/"pwd"/temp

Any suggestions ?

Thank you.

Comment

thats weird
          I had the same problem and specified a TMP_DIR like you did and it solved this issue for me. Are you sure you have enough mem? Are you trying to run this command along with other commands? I really don't know what the problem could be.

I have a suggestion that probably won't help but might be worth a try. You can specify more that one TMP_DIR. This could help depending on whether you are just running locally on ur pc, or have access to more memory.

considering this was posted in 2011, i am curious as to whether you found the solution to this problem for other user that may run into this issue

Comment

Hi,

Wow, that's a very very old post, .. what I did was use "MAX_RECORDS_IN_RAM=5000000" and then this command and this worked for me:
            java -Xmx4g -jar FixMateInformation.jar \
            INPUT=file.realigned.bam \
            OUTPUT=file.realigned.fixedmateinfo.bam \
            SO=coordinate \
            MAX_RECORDS_IN_RAM=5000000 \
            VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT \
            CREATE_INDEX=true \
            TMP_DIR=$TMPDIR \

Cheers.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses