No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipping adapters

Hello readers ,

I will start with the caveat that I am a newbie fumbling along the process of teaching myself how to analyse my Tru-seq data.

I tried excising the below mentioned adapter and the output has dwindled to ~20% of the original reads. This seems erroneous, I did not allow for any wiggle room with mis-matches. Is this too stringent? Or is there a wholesale error in the way i went about things? What happens to all the non-clipped reads?

Thanks

Info: Clipping Adapter: CGATGT
    Min. Length: 15
    Non-Clipped reads - discarded.
    Input: 36838900 reads.
    Output: 5341173 reads.
    discarded 1539984 too-short reads.
    discarded 127004 adapter-only reads.
    discarded 29709745 non-clipped reads.
    discarded 120994 N reads.

It looks to me that most of your discarded reads are "non-clipped." Why are you discarding these? If no adapter sequence is in the the read, then I am not sure why you would want to discard this.

What program are you using for the adapter trimming and what are the settings?

The truseq adapters are actually 63 bp long and the barcodes are somewhere in the middle of these adapters, if I remember correctly. Did you trim using the full 63 bp adapter, or just the 6bp sequence you listed? That could probably throw it off.
    Last edited by chadn737; 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM.

Comment

dear chadn737,

It is clear to me that now there is a "level zero" and I am at it ....sigh.

I used the the clip tool in Galaxy. I left all the settings pretty much on default except for changing the clip sequence to "custom".

I didn't know the adapters were 63bps. I got the 6 bp sequence from a page of the illumina manual posted by a blogger in this forum. We outsourced the library prep and they used Kit A with adaper indexes 2,4,5,6,7 & 12 and these I assumed were 6bps.

Forgive my ignorance, what would it mean to have reads without the adapters?

Thanks

Comment

To give an example of what I meant, we have a core facility that does our sequencing. They prep the libraries, sequence, and then send us a fastq file of the reads. Part of their pipeline is to trim the adapter sequence from the 5' end so that in theory, all the reads in my fastq file should be adapter free. Now, I know from experience that this is not the case, that with longer read lengths a certain percentage of my reads have adapter sequence at the 3' end that I then have to trim.

So my advice would be to find out how your data was processed before you got the reads. In particular, ask the people who did the sequencing whether or not they trimmed the adapters prior to giving you the reads. If they already did adapter trimming, then those "non-clipped" reads are probably free of adapter sequence and can be directly aligned. The fact that so many reads are not trimmed, suggest to me this is the case.

I am not that familiar with Galaxy, but I think they use the fastx toolkit, someone correct me if I am wrong. I use a tool called Cutadapt for trimming contaminating adapter sequence.

Also, see the attached pdf. The full truseq adapters are in there. The barcode you listed appears to be part of the index 2 adapter.
        Attached Files

Comment

dear chadn737,

Thank you for the pdf and the explanation. I was told by the sequencing facility that they did not remove the adapters. I am puzzled b/c your explanation seems logical.

Unfortunately the folks at the sequencing center have only only caused more confusion in me- it feels like a case of the blind leading the blind.

Thanks again for your advice!

Comment

Ok, then you do need to trim for the adapters, but use the entire 63bp sequence listed in that file. That should improve the results.

Comment

Dear chadn737,

Originally posted by chadn737 View Post
              ...Now, I know from experience that this is not the case, that with longer read lengths a certain percentage of my reads have adapter sequence at the 3' end that I then have to trim....
              what length of reads and roughly what percentage were you referring to here?
              also, how do you know you have to trim them?

thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses