Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expression analysis using non-assembled reads?

Hi,

does everyone heard about assembly-free/reference-free expression analysis tools?

We have a species with no reference available and the idea is to study gene expression changes after some stimulus. First, we sequenced RNA of treated and non-treated samples and tried to make an assembly and to use it as reference. But all attempts of de novo assembly give poor results (about 100 thousands of short contigs). We tried a lot of differents programs and parameters; for other species that we are working with the results are much better so there is something in this species that hampers the assembly (most probably, high heterozygosity). I despaired of ever succeeding with the assembly and started to think whether there is other way to work with these data.
    The changes in expression that we are looking for should be drastic and rather qualitative than quantitative. And the reads are pretty long (250+250 bp) - comparable to Sanger ESTs. Probably there are some approaches developed for ESTs that allow using such data without assembly?

About assembly:

Is the assembly from a single individual of 1 species?
    Is there contamination?
    How deep is the sequencing?

I assume this is MiSeq sequence data? What is the read quality like?

Comment

Originally posted by peromhc View Post
      About assembly:

Is the assembly from a single individual of 1 species?
      Is there contamination?
      How deep is the sequencing?

I assume this is MiSeq sequence data? What is the read quality like?
      Actually, we first sequenced on Hiseq several samples of different individuals (treated and non-treated, 8 in total, ~ 25 millions of reads per sample) and tried to assemble then all together. After it failed I sequenced on Miseq (~ 15 M reads 250+250) a sample from a single individuum. The quality of sequening was good (85% Q30 bases) but the assembly was bad again.
      It's hard to say what the actual coverage is because no one knows the number of transcripts and their expression levels. But I believe it is decent - the sample is just one type of cell so I don't think there is an enormous diversity of transcripts.
      And I do not see any signs of contamination, either.

Comment

How did the RNA look at the beginning-- do you have a bioanalyzer trace you could show?

About the assembly, Do you have an idea about the distribution of contig lengths?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses