Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mate pairs contaminated with paired ends - impact on assembly?

Hi all,

I've been attempting a de novo assembly with 454 single reads and Illumina 2.5 kb mate pairs. I had built an assembly of just the 454 reads and decided to Blast some of the mate pairs against that assembly and noticed that for several of them, the two ends mapped only a few hundred bases apart. So I ran a much larger batch (1 million mate pairs) to get a better sense of what was going on. For most (~68%) of the mate pairs, one or both ends didn't hit the assembly, so they were uninformative, but for more than 20%, the ends mapped less than 500 bp apart (avg. 320 bp), with the two reads pointing inward toward each other, the typical paired end arrangement. Only about 2.5% were clearly mate pair reads (avg. length 2420 bp, ends pointing away from each other), but I expect that most of the uninformative reads would fall into this group. It appears that the selection of the biotinylated mate pair fragments wasn't very stringent so that a lot of non-mate-pair fragments came through.

Questions: has anyone else checked the level of paired end fragments in their mate pairs? Any idea if 20% is excessive? How do assemblers like Mira and Velvet deal with this mixture, which is likely never completely clean? Would it help the assembly to remove the paired ends or to separate them out and put them in as a third type of sequence? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Mike

Hello Mike,

I have had the same problem. Basically, Solaxe mate-pair reads are useless because pairs with a wrong-size insert will break perfectly good contigs. I don't think any of the assemblers take this into account. I am hoping assemblers will improve, and that the Illumina mate-pair protocol will improve as well. I the meantime I have settled with using this mate-pair set of mine as single reads ...

Martin

Comment

Hello,
      from what I have heard and try , it is not very efficient to mix 454 and Solexa data to do the assembly and (I only tried on Velvet), it does make poorer results than if you use only 454 or illumina alone.
      good luck

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses