Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a small illumina run data for practice

Could someone please be so kind as to give me some illumina data (preferably miseq/hiseq) to play with? I'm trying to process the raw data with CASAVA, but the runs I have seem to be faulty, because they miss all kind of information files.
    Of course , it should only be small runs , since large ones would be impossible to download via network.
    I would be infinitely grateful, I really need to learn to work with illumina data.

You should check with your local illumina field applications scientist for help. They should be able to get you a copy from another institution that is local.

That said why do you think the copies you have are faulty? Are you getting errors when trying to run CASAVA?

Comment

Yep, plenty of errors while trying to convert .bcl to fasta. First, it says that samplesheet.csv doesn't exist, when I create one and try to run,then it says that it cannot find bclconverter.cpp(although CASAVA has been configured, built and installed properly), then that .clocs files are missing (now where do I take them? I only have .locs, filter, .bcl,.control, .stats,).
      I think that CASAVA is up-todate (1.8.2) and the runs are >2 years old (dated 2011)

Comment

Is the data folder that you have access to a complete copy as made by the instrument?

Depending on the RTA version used (make sure that your folder has the RunInfo.xml and config.xml files) the BCL to FASTQ converter is supposed to use the right position files (.clocs or .locs).

You can explicitly provide (--positions-format .locs) option to the configureBclToFastq.pl command and see if that works.

Comment

Yeah , I made sure the file tree matches the one pointed out in the user guide. But since the config file was missing , I had to take one from a different run. When it didn't work I made one myself. It worked to some extent, but well, I can't be sure that the absence of the original config file doesn't screw the following process.
          That's why I'd like to have a nice good run, preferably multiplex to practice demultiplexing as well, though it isn't supposed to be difficult. Well it all isn't supposed to be difficult but somehow I can't figure it out.

Comment

If you don't have the full flowcell folder then you are likely to run into issues. The XML files store run related information that is needed for downstream analysis (as you discovered).

There are a couple of data sets (not sure if they are complete) included in the CASAVA install (they should be under /casava-1.8.2/src/CASAVA_v1.8.2/data/share/examples/Validation/ directory). Look into those while you locate a data set.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses