Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacbio - What is the Typical Throughput?

Based on sparsity of pacbio-related posts, I presume nobody uses the technology. I was at their recent user group meeting and liked the smell of the coffee

I will go out on a limb and make a bold call. The world of genomics is on the verge of seeing another set of major transformations, and many algorithms, tools, pipelines and methodologies developed for short reads over the last 3-4 years will be useless. In my opinion, the era of short-read sequencing is reaching a peak, or to be kind to its users, short read technologies are shining like the full moon. Related to peaking of the short read era, we will see two other changes - (i) end of “genome sequencing and genome paper” era and (ii) end of big data bioinformatics. For further explanation of the last sentence, please read the detailed explanation in the later part of the commentary.

PacBio reads are long (~10 Kb) but noisy at the nucleotide level. In part I of this commentary, I argued that the short reads are also ‘noisy’ in a different way. Their loss of information through short length manifests into producing lower quality genomes and transcriptomes. Cleaning up of the noise at the genome and transcriptome level adds to significant bioinformatics cost. Now that the excitement of publishing ‘draft’ genomes of various cool plants and animals is over, choice of short vs long technology will depend on the total cost for acquiring different kinds of biological information. What is biologically informative varies from project to project and it is not straightforward to compare the cost of information content for two technologies. However, a number of talks at the recent PacBio user group meeting mentioned that the long PacBio reads are competitive at cost per information content, when users are looking for fully assembled small to mid-sized genomes, or reconstructing complex genomic regions (MHC) or isoforms from transcriptome.

One question, where I presume the company's estimates could be on the high side is the throughput per SMRT cell. What is your usual experience? Are the numbers listed here achievable?

The last number from krobison (81Mb) is quite low compared to what I heard at the meeting (400-500 Mb). Also mention the chemistry you are using.
    Last edited by samanta; 10-05-2013, 08:10 AM.
    http://homolog.us

With XL chemistry we have recently typically seen 240-270 Mb per smrtcell with 5-6 kb reads (1 x 120 min on an RSII machine).
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-05-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Before P4, 150-300 was common. Our best P4-C2 run was a raw read average length of 7.6 kbp and yielded 730 Mbp (!) for a CCS project (96k reads, but the insert was only 500 bp).

Comment

Thanks folks.

Flxlex, I presume that 730 Mb is one time observation, right?
        http://homolog.us

Comment

Originally posted by samanta View Post
          Thanks folks.

Flxlex, I presume that 730 Mb is one time observation, right?
          The run was an outlier, yes, with the 730 being the best SMRTcell...

Comment

I am curious the cost for one SMRT cell sequencing (not including human force) ?

Comment

Originally posted by chjp0632 View Post
              I am curious the cost for one SMRT cell sequencing (not including human force) ?
              Here is a list of the PacBio sequence providers. http://www.pacificbiosciences.com/su...cing_provider/ You will have to ask for a quote.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses