Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw this near the top, and wanted to say that I absolutely love Tablet. Fast and nice to look at, what more could you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      Saw this near the top, and wanted to say that I absolutely love Tablet. Fast and nice to look at, what more could you want.
      I'd ask for better display of insertions in SAM/BAM format (the Tablet team are looking at this)

See also this review, which picks up on insertions as a weakness in Tablet:
      I gathered up some of the recent free next generation sequence viewers that were capabale of viewing BAM files - and put each through the m...

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
        Originally posted by ECO View Post
        I'd ask for better display of insertions in SAM/BAM format (the Tablet team are looking at this)

See also this review, which picks up on insertions as a weakness in Tablet:
        http://jermdemo.blogspot.com/2010/08...-reviewed.html
        Looks like the brand new Tablet release adds both paired end support and improved insertion display in SAM/BAM !

(Its just a shame the SCRI website is having connectivity issues today - I guess they'll be posting an announcement here later this afternoon if they can get back online)

Comment

features import doesn't work

I try to upload features for the ACE file, but no features are uploaded ( I choose th gff file, but nothing happens...)

Comment

Originally posted by litali View Post
            I try to upload features for the ACE file, but no features are uploaded ( I choose th gff file, but nothing happens...)
            The table on the left has three tabs: Contigs, Features, Search. Switch to Features and you should see something assuming it worked.

Comment

On a related note, what is the position on reads which extend beyond the reference sequence at the start or end of the sequence. The Picard API in particular doesn't seem to like reads which either start before the reference sequence, or end after it. Are these reads valid in SAM/BAM or not?
              To support de novo assembly, I find it very useful to be able to place reads before or after the reference sequence, primarily to show that a particular contig can be extended further by reads.

I believe the standard is to soft clip reads that extend past the reference, but if the read is placed entirely past the reference so that not a single base overlaps, I'm not sure what to do.

Cheers,
              Shaun
              Last edited by sjackman; 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sjackman View Post
                To support de novo assembly,...
                Interesting post, but was it in the wrong thread?

Comment

I responded to this posting earlier in this thread:
                  Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Cheers,
                  Shaun
                  Last edited by sjackman; 09-10-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

As usual, it should auto-update the next time you run it, or you can grab the download manually from http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet
                    This web site appears to be down. Is this a temporary problem?

Cheers,
                    Shaun

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
                      The table on the left has three tabs: Contigs, Features, Search. Switch to Features and you should see something assuming it worked.
                      I do switch to features, but there are 0 features there...

Comment

Originally posted by sjackman View Post
                        This web site appears to be down. Is this a temporary problem?
                        The whole of the SCRI website is down - they're cut off, probably until Monday now.

Comment

Originally posted by litali View Post
                          I do switch to features, but there are 0 features there...
                          The most common reason for features not showing up is that the contig/reference names in the GFF file don't match what's loaded into Tablet. Try having a look at and potentially altering the contig / reference names in the GFF file and the features should load with no problems.

Comment

I keep forgetting to post updates on Tablet here, so I'll try to make more of an effort for 2011

Here's a summary of the changes in today's (25th Jan) release:

- NEW: Various improvements to the pair-matching code should result in much faster loading of paired-end data.
                            - NEW: Drawing paired-reads that include "link lines" is now faster.
                            - NEW: Added new right-click options to the main canvas that provides several export-to-disk options for reads.
                            - NEW: Added a "Visible Reads" tab, that displays a dynamically changing table of all on-screen reads as you navigate around a contig.
                            - NEW: Added CTRL/CMD mousewheel zooming to the main canvas.
                            - CHG: Altered the SAM parsing code to better handle files which have been produced by tools which haven't adhered to the SAM specification.
                            - CHG: Rearranged some of existing options on the main canvas's right-click menu.
                            - CHG: Changed to a different SQLite binary for use on OS X that allows it to work on all systems (10.4, 10.5, 10.6) again.
                            - BUG: Fixed some installer problems that were causing issues on Ubuntu Linux.

As usual, Tablet should auto-update the next time you run it, or you can grab the download manually from http://bioinf.scri.ac.uk/tablet

Iain
                            Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate Tablet. In particular, Tablet works great with text [alignment] file formats, e.g. SAM and MAQ .map.txt.

I am working on a very low-end system (1GHz, <2Gb RAM) and have had problems using other alignment viewers and/or various tools required to create necessary [supporting] file formats (e.g. maqindex, samtools sort).

To add a very minor constructive criticism for the author's consideration: I found the read search (by ID) unusably slow, which was a surprise since for my queries and input files a simple unix 'grep' took less than 1 second.

I look forward to any future developments, especially for (de novo) SNP annotation and repeat masking (which can affect the coverage statistics depending on the mapping software used).
                              Last edited by Guidobot; 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM. Reason: readability

Comment

Originally posted by Guidobot View Post
                                Just wanted to say that I really appreciate Tablet. In particular, Tablet works great with text [alignment] file formats, e.g. SAM and MAQ .map.txt.
                                Thanks for the comments. Always nice to hear

Originally posted by Guidobot View Post
                                To add a very minor constructive criticism for the author's consideration: I found the read search (by ID) unusably slow, which was a surprise since for my queries and input files a simple unix 'grep' took less than 1 second.
                                Can you send us any sample files (to tablet (at) scri.ac.uk)? Sounds like something isn't quite right...

Iain
                                Our software: Tablet | Flapjack | Strudel | CurlyWhirly | TOPALi

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                                0 responses