Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qual format determination

I typically map fastq files taken from the short read archive using bowtie on Galaxy. I'm now moving to the command line. For this, I'll need to know what type of Qual format my fastq files are in. I often get them from disparate sources. Does anyone know an easy way to figure out which format is present within a given file?
    Keith.

If you haven't seen it there is a good graphic in the Wikipedia article about FASTQ which illustrates the ASCII character range for each variation. For most purposes though you need not be concerned with exactly which Illumina encoding was used. It is sufficient to know whether the Phred score offset is 33 or 64. A very simple test you can implement is, are there quality characters with ASCII < 59 but none > 74? if yes it is Phred+33. If the opposite holds true (characters with ASCII > 74 but none < 59) then it is Phred +64.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
    0 responses