Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I calculate the probability of sequence coverage at particular window?

Hi all,

A newbie question:

How do I calculate the probability of a random set of sequences (at a specified length, say short reads of 25bp) aligning to a set window length (say 10kb)? Essentially, I'd like to know the sequence coverage probability along a specified length of DNA.

I'd like to use this sequence coverage probability to test whether what I see (for example, say I see 3 reads within a particular 10kb window) is truly significant or aligned by random chance.

Please let me know your thoughts and whether this is a valid question to ask in the first place.

Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly, you want to calculate the probability that a read with a completely random sequence aligns to a place in your genome by chance. The answer is usually: zero.

There are 4^25=1.1e15 possible 25-bp reads. The human genome has 3e10 base pairs, hence the probability of a random 25-mer actually occurring in the human genome is roughly 3e10/1e15=2e-6.

Hence, if you see a read aligning somewhere, it has almost certainly been amplified from a real biological template, i.e., it is either from the sample or from contamination.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as alignment noise in high-throughput sequencing.
    Last edited by Simon Anders; 04-03-2012, 10:13 AM. Reason: corrected distorting grammer mistake

Comment

Hello guys

I am having almost the same problem, and i am confused of how to calculate the probability, here is my issue:

I have sequenced a PCR fragment of 2kb from original reference sequence of 7.5kb. I used illumina HiSeq paired-ends technology to generate 5 million 80bp reads with a coverage of x30 as I am looking for a recombination event between two serotypes of viruses, which is rare event.

I know that the event occurs by 1%, so I expect to find 1% of the reads represent the recombination event. Among these reads there are some reads which are going to span the junction point of the Recombinants, and therefore not aligned to any of the reference sequences. I want to calculate the probability of the coverage of those reads which span the junction point to calculate the error rate between the expected and the observed.

Need help!

Many thanks

Comment

Hi again

I forgot to add that the junction point could be occur at any nucleotide lies in the 2kb fragment.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses