No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEXSeq - Counting with HT-seq at the exon level

Hi!

I'm currently looking for differently expressed isoforms and got curious about the behaviour of HT-seq when counting exons. Basically, I wanted to check if those two methods would give me really close results when estimating genes expression :
    • counting at the gene level with HT-seq (HTg)
    • counting at the exon level, then summing all the exons per gene (HTe)

The correlation is not that great (see attached pdf) and there is a global trend of higher counts from my HTe method. Some of the highlighted genes have crazy differences between the two methods :
    Code:
    ensembl_gene_id value_HTg value_HTe ratio
    ENSG00000205336 21 6806 0.003231967
    ENSG00000165795 73 21996 0.003364095
    When looking in a genome browser for ENSG00000205336, I can count 21 mapping reads : it fits with HTg !
    I believe that if a read is mapping on a splicing junction, it will be counted 2 times when using HT-seq at the exon level and may explain some of the differences.

In the first steps of the DEXSeq analysis, we have to process a GTF file (from Ensembl, for example) to obtain a GFF with "collapsed" exons from different transcripts of the same gene. For my example gene, the script "dexseq_prepare_annotation.py" generates really small "exonic_part", some have a length of 1bp !

GTF for ENSG00000205336
    GFF for ENSG00000205336

Is it expected ?
    I think that each of those exonic parts will be treated as an exon when doing the DEXSeq analysis, could it be a problem ?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT :
    If found that thread is pretty similar to my question :
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

It seems that I can't sum the different exonic parts to estimate the gene value as a read can be counted multiple times.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Yohann; 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM. Reason: found related thread

Dear Yohann

thanks for the feedback. All of that behaviour is intended, and the rationale behind it is described in the DEXSeq Paper. Briefly, reads that touch multiple counting bins provide evidence for the presence of each of the bins, therefore they are counted for each of the bins. The evidence is not independent, but since the testing in DEXSeq is marginal (bin by bin), the dependence is not a problem (in the same way that the dependence in expression of different genes is not a problem for gene-by-gene testing methods). Therefore the sum of bins counts is typically larger than the gene count.

Second, exons are split up by the preparation script into multiple parts (bins) if the GTF file has different boundaries for them. This is not always pretty, and could probably be coarse-grained in some cases (and you are welcome to do your own manual or automated curation of counting bins to this end!).

Hope this.

Kind regards
    Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Huber
    EMBL

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses