Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• library gel purification with SYBR gold problems

We are using the Illumina truseq DNA adapter prep kit. We are now doing whole genome and went to using the SYBR gold as illumina suggested. I had used SYBR safe and gotten low yield so they suggested SYBR gold as per protocol. We have done it twice and our ladders and/or samples are not running properly. Our 100bp ladder just looks like a big smear. These were about 2% agarose TAE gels. The ladder is from bioexpress. Is there something about SYBR gold that would be causing this? Is there some change we need to implement? Just to clarify, we add 15ul SYBR gold to about 120ml agarose pre gel-electrophoresis.

We never tried this--the instructions for SYBR-gold imply that it must be used only as a post-stain. I was surprised to see Illumina recommending that it be used during the run.

Also, I don't see how using SYBR-gold instead of SYBR-safe would increase your yield. I had only seen SYBR-gold suggested as a method to avoid the forked-adapter migration artifacts that one sometimes sees. But I would much prefer ETHANol's doing a few cycles of PCR prior to running the gel method to swapping out my running dye.

--
    Phillip

Comment

You may need to cut back on the amount of ladder that you are loading. I have seen that when using very sensitive dyes (GelStar, GelRed, most of the Sybr stains) you need to cut back on the amount of ladder that you use by 5-10x. If you use the same amount as you would for an EtBr gel, you end up with a big smear.

I agree with pmiguel, too, as I thought Sybr-Gold is supposed to be used for post staining only.

Comment

I have used SYBR gold with great success, mixed into the gel as Illumina suggests. I used Benchtop ladder, which was also suggested in the manual, which does resolve quite clearly. It could be that the Bioexpress ladder is created in such a way that it does not resolve well with SYBR gold staining (maybe it has overhangs) - try looking up that information or maybe using less ladder as the others suggest.
        - Gina

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses