Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concentrating NexteraXT libraries

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I am still fairly new to preparing NexteraXT libraries. I have had good luck with the bead based normalization and running pools on the MiSeq, but now I want to send some pools to a HiSeq core lab.

My HiSeq core wants pools to be around 10nM. Illumina recommends pooling the double stranded libraries from the CAN plate and then using that for the HiSeq (vs the single stranded libraries coming out of the bead based normalization). I used a Qubit to quantitate one of my first CAN plates and the concentrations are fairly low, in the 500-3000 pg/uL range. The average size is around 800bp on Bioanalyzer. I can pool them but the pool volume is going to be large and the concentration very low, so I need to concentrate the pools.

Illumina recommends SpeedVac of the samples without heat, but tech support warned me if I used the buffer in the kit for the elution into the CAN plate (and why wouldn't have I?), then the salts in the buffer will concentrate as well, so they recommend not reducing the volume by >50%. They say in the future I can elute with H20 instead of the buffer in the kit, but that doesn't help me now. Any other column methods, while possible, would run the risk of sample loss. Ethanol precipitation might be an option, but the quantities are so low, I fear being able to see a pellet or achieve success with that method.

I haven't sat down to do the math yet to figure out my theoretical volumes, but just wondering if anyone else had any experience or advice for running NexteraXT libraries on the HiSeq.

Best,
    DB

AMPure.

--
    Phillip

Comment

I have AmpureXP beads in house but they are a couple of months out of date - not sure how quickly they degrade but not sure I want to risk it. I have fresh AmpureXP on order.

If I were to go the AmpureXP route, would you follow the standard PCR cleanup protocol from Beckman with a 1.8x bead ratio, or something more specific to concentrating libraries? My library size ranges from around 200bp to 1kb with a peak around 800bp. I've been looking around but can't find a consensus.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

0.8x ampure works in our hands to get rid of much of the stuff below 300. Of course this may be somewhat batch-dependent.

Keep your first supernatant as a fail-safe. If you need to, you can add additional ampure to recover all the DNA.

--
        Phillip

Comment

My pool volumes wound up being rather large (~500uL) and I didn't have any un-expired AmpureXP on hand, so I decided to call an audible and try an Amicon 0.5ml Ultracel-30K concentrator that we had on hand. It seems to have worked fairly well with around an 80% recovery of my calculated input (too dilute to detect by Qubit). Looks good on the Bioanalyzer, too, although the size range does tend towards the large end in one pool in particular.

I have heard that the quantitation on the Bioanalyzer is not reliable, compared to the Qubit. In looking at a few individual libraries that I ran on the higher end of the concentration spectrum as well as my pools, it seems the Bioanalyzer calculated concentration is consistently around one third to one half of the Qubit value. Is this consistent with what others see?

Best,
          docbio

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses