Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the field? mapping transcripts to the genome for improving annotation

I posted this over at Biostars but it has not gotten much response so I am posting it here too.

I work on Mosquitoes which have notoriously bad annotations in their UTRs. I have a bunch of RNA-seq data that I want to use to help me better define the UTRs in the genes being expressed in my tissues. This is important because I want to study the putative promoter regions. As it is now, MANY regions 5' to the annotated start of the transcript are either UTR or intron due to the gene model missing the first exon (an all UTR exon).

My plan is to use a few de novo transcript assembly programs to come up with putative cDNA transcripts, then to map these to the genomes to 'annotate' the gene structures and then merge those into the official gtf annotations. For my specific use, the most important things are the border regions (start/stop of transcription), but I plan to publish the amended annotations in an effort to make the work more reproducible. And if they are going to be published, I would like the "guts" to be as accurate with regard to splicing as is reasonably possible.

I was planning to use exonerate, but in the last few weeks, I have read about other options such as using GMAP or simply using BLAT.

Is there a feeling of which mapper/method produces the best results at this time?
    In science, "fact" can only mean "confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent." I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms.
    --Stephen Jay Gould

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses