Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a MiSeq fastz.gz file, what to do with it

I hear I need to assess it using bowtie, but when I download that program on Windows I can't even get it to open. How to I evaluate my reads?

Sounds like the first thing you need to do is work through something like http://ged.msu.edu/angus/ or http://intro-prog-bioinfo-2013.wikispaces.com/ Step 0 is to use Ubuntu or some kind of linux.

Comment

Alternatively, familiarize yourself with Galaxy.

Comment

Start by looking at the tutorials at Galaxy here: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Learn/Screencasts. As Devon suggested it is a biologist friendly way of using command line tools in a browser.

You can do independent QC assessment of your sequence data by using a tool such as FastQC: http://www.bioinformatics.babraham.a...ojects/fastqc/ This will run on windows.

At some point you will want to get a broader understanding of NGS: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Next_Ge...cing_%28NGS%29

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
          Alternatively, familiarize yourself with Galaxy.
          Is this a work around to have a Unix-based system? (i.e. can I use galaxy without installing a Unix system?)

Comment

Originally posted by KnowNothing2 View Post
            Is this a work around to have a Unix-based system? (i.e. can I use galaxy without installing a Unix system?)
            Yep, that's what Galaxy was intended for.

An option is to try a Linux VM, but you'll be limited by the performance of your workstation. Generally in an academic institution there are computing resources available depending on your line of work...

Comment

Is there a way to transfer from BaseSpace to Galaxy? It seems uploading from my computer is taking forever

Comment

If you already have data in basespace why not do the analysis there? After all that is the purpose of basespace.

To answer your question .. if you are able to generate a unique URL (with either no password or embedded password) for your base space file you may be able to transfer it directly to galaxy using this method: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Support#Loading_data

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                  If you already have data in basespace why not do the analysis there? After all that is the purpose of basespace.

To answer your question .. if you are able to generate a unique URL (with either no password or embedded password) for your base space file you may be able to transfer it directly to galaxy using this method: http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Support#Loading_data
                  Oh, I didn't know I could do analysis in BaseSpace. I thought it was just a cloud based system that my Uni used to store data.

Looks like BaseSpaces programs cost extra money...
                  Last edited by KnowNothing2; 09-26-2013, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Oh, I didn't know I could do analysis in BaseSpace. I thought it was just a cloud based system that my Uni used to store data.

Looks like BaseSpaces programs cost extra money...
                    Presumably BaseSpace could be used only as a storage system but it is possible to do analysis/share data in BaseSpace. See the BaseSpace manual: http://supportres.illumina.com/docum..._15044182a.pdf

Not having used BaseSpace I am not sure what analysis you can do at no cost. I assume there is some basic analysis (akin to what you can do on MiSeq itself e.g. alignments) available for free.

Note: If there are no "free" analysis tools in BaseSpace then I take my original suggestion of using BaseSpace back.
                    Last edited by GenoMax; 09-26-2013, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Picard will only let you work on 100MB or less bam files for free. Anything above that is "1 iCredit".

Don't see a bowtie on basespace, but I do see a number of visualizers.

I suppose an option may be to compile bowtie2 on a linux VM, build the reference if one isn't available online, then map the reads yourself, but it depends on the computing resources you have on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                        Presumably BaseSpace could be used only as a storage system but it is possible to do analysis/share data in BaseSpace. See the BaseSpace manual: http://supportres.illumina.com/docum..._15044182a.pdf

Not having used BaseSpace I am not sure what analysis you can do at no cost. I assume there is some basic analysis (akin to what you can do on MiSeq itself e.g. alignments) available for free.

Note: If there are no "free" analysis tools in BaseSpace then I take my original suggestion of using BaseSpace back.
                        IGV aligner (Broad Inst) is free through BaseSpace, but it only accepts BAM and VCF files and I have a FastQ. Is there an easy way to convert?

Comment

Originally posted by winsettz View Post
                          Picard will only let you work on 100MB or less bam files for free. Anything above that is "1 iCredit".

I suppose an option may be to compile bowtie2 on a linux VM, build the reference if one isn't available online, then map the reads yourself, but it depends on the computing resources you have on hand.
                          Bowtie is through Galaxy, which I'm also in the process of trying to get my data uploaded on to.

Comment

IGV aligner (Broad Inst) is free through BaseSpace, but it only accepts BAM and VCF files and I have a FastQ. Is there an easy way to convert?
                            Not in the way that you want. You'd need to align the reads, which is presumably possible on basespace, but perhaps isn't free.

Comment

Originally posted by winsettz View Post

Bowtie is through Galaxy, which I'm also in the process of trying to get my data uploaded on to.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses