No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trimming multiple adapters in a single run

Hi,

I ran the quality control for my fastq reads and found that some adapter seuqences in every sample. I used Fastx_clipper like this:
    fastx_clipper -a "AGTCGTATAGCAGT" -v -i /input/fastq/file -o /trimmed/output/file.

How can I trim the fastq file with multiple adapter.. i have one more adapter sequnces which has to be trimmed.

How can I use multiple adapters in a single run?

Kindly Guide me.

As far as I know, you can only trim one adapter at a time with fastqx_clipper or cutadapt.
    You'll have to trim them one after the other if you have different adapters for the reads.

Note that, with Cutadapt at least, you only need to trim the first adapter after the insert.
    This sequence is generally identical for all the reads. It doesn't matter if the sequences differ after the first adapter.

With Trimmomatic, you can give in argument an adapter file with all the adapter sequences.

Comment

You mean to say first trim the raw sequence with first adapter output it. Then later trim the outputted file from the first trim to trim the next adapter..Am I right?

Comment

No.
        You'll have to check the behaviour of your trimmer.
        In the case of Cutadapt, you just need to trim the first adapter.

You don't need to know all the adapter sequences. You just need to know and trim the sequence of the first adapter after the insert.

E.g. The adapter sequence is TAAC

Before trimming:
        ATCATAACAT
        CTAGTAACTT

After trimming:
        ATCA
        CTAG

Comment

Hi,

Like you said I had two adapter sequences before I trimmed. First I trimmed using first adapter sequence using fastx_clipper and later uploaded the sequence in Fastqc to re-check, surprisingly the second adapter sequence which shown before was also removed and now I have nor adapter sequences...But how come my second adapter disappeared..Can i take this trimmed fiel for further analysis?

Comment

Yes. The trimmer will cut off the rest of the sequence once it encounters the adapter.
            Hence, you only need to trim the first adapter after the insert.

Comment

That's the default behaviour for Cutadapt anyway.
              I believe that the other trimmers use the same algorithm, but cannot absolutely guarantee it.

Comment

Also Is it necessary to filter reads based on quality score when you find quality score for all bases is above 25 or more.?

Comment

It depends on the type of experiment.

I wouldn't trim for RNA-Seq experiments measuring gene expression levels, or ChIP-Seq experiments measuring immunoprecipitated DNA.
                  I might trim at 30 or 32 for experiments whose objective is to find mutations (whole-genome seq, exome-seq and sometimes RNA-Seq) or methylation levels (bis-Seq).

For RNA-Seq experiment or ChIP-Seq experiments, trimming would do more harm than good if all your bases are above 25.

Comment

In my eyes fastqx_clipper is pretty outdated by now. Especially BBduk, but also Trimmomatic, and Cutadapt, have been developed further and offer way more options.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses