SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on calling SNPs using samtools/bcftools nkwuji Bioinformatics 6 02-19-2013 08:52 AM
BFAST and Variant Calling nexgengirl Bioinformatics 8 01-02-2013 05:03 AM
minimum depth variant calling samtools/gatk m_elena_bioinfo Bioinformatics 1 12-06-2011 08:31 AM
variant calling kjaja Bioinformatics 1 11-04-2011 07:16 AM
Samtools variant calling questions Chiel Bioinformatics 2 06-07-2011 09:10 AM

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
ksc

Question variant calling using samtools -v- bcftools

I am new to samtools and have been trying out several protocols on the web for variant calling. Can someone please tell me what the main difference is between this step of the deprecated protocol:
samtools view -u aln.sorted.bam | samtools pileup -vcf Ref.fa - > aln.sorted.raw.txt

and this step of the new recommended protocol?:
samtools mpileup -ugf Ref.fa aln.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bcvg - > aln.sorted.raw.bcf

I thought that both of these steps should return the unfiltered set of putative variants; however, the first one gives me substantially more variants than the second. I just want to make sure I am solid about what exactly is happening at these steps so that I can make informed decisions about what filtering is necessary downstream.

Thanks for your help!
ksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
swbarnes2

Mpileup by default adds a BAQ calculation, which pileup doesn't. Try the following, and see if the result is more like the pileup result

samtools mpileup -Bugf Ref.fa aln.sorted.bam | bcftools view -bcvg - > aln.sorted.rawB.bcf
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
ksc

Thanks swbarnes2. That helped out a bit. However, I am still only getting half the variants using mpileup that I was using pileup. It is most likely that these are ones that would be filtered out in later steps anyway; however, it would be nice to know what is happening for sure.
ksc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcftools, samtools, variant analysis