SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Filter out reads with several variants david.tamborero Bioinformatics 0 01-25-2012 08:31 AM
How to subtract specific DNA sequences from *mpileup* files (programs and scripts) aperdomos Bioinformatics 1 01-24-2012 08:34 AM
how to filter unaligned duplicate reads HESmith Bioinformatics 4 11-30-2011 02:13 AM
How to filter reads on PHRED score sunkorner RNA Sequencing 0 06-25-2011 03:43 PM
Tophat: Is it necessary to pre-filter reads swarbre Bioinformatics 1 09-10-2009 02:48 PM

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
fcr

Question Programs to filter out the Mitochonrial DNA from Hightroughput Sequencing Reads

Hi all,

I have Whole Genome Shotgun Reads (Illumina) of a mammalian species. I am interested in filtering out all the reads matching mitochondrial DNA before starting the downstream analysis. I know the right thing is to blast them or map them against mtDNA. But, Do anyone knows about available software or scripts to do this? I would like to know if there are tools for it before writing the code myself.

Cheers,
Fernando
fcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
peromhc

Although I have not tried this very approach, I bet you can use Bowtie combined with the --un feature.. Make a fasta file that contains your mt genome, build the bowtie index, and run.
peromhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
swbarnes2

Align to the whole genome, including mtDNA, using bowtie or bwa or whatever. Then you can filter your .bam for reads that align to the mtDNA.
swbarnes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
husamia

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbarnes2 View Post
Align to the whole genome, including mtDNA, using bowtie or bwa or whatever. Then you can filter your .bam for reads that align to the mtDNA.
I agree. there is no way to know which reads at mt so you have to align first.
husamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
mjp

You could build indices with your mapping program of choice and map your reads to it.

Take a look at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genomes/...2759&hopt=html (Organelle Genome Resources) to download sequences for your indices.

Hope it helps.
mjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcr View Post
Hi all,

I have Whole Genome Shotgun Reads (Illumina) of a mammalian species. I am interested in filtering out all the reads matching mitochondrial DNA before starting the downstream analysis. I know the right thing is to blast them or map them against mtDNA. But, Do anyone knows about available software or scripts to do this? I would like to know if there are tools for it before writing the code myself.

Cheers,
Fernando
As a sanity check, be sure to BLAST the mtDNA against the genome after you have mapped or assembled your reads. The bowtie --un method is very fast for filtering reads, but unfortunately it does not work in my experience. Sure, it will filter out some reads but when you BLAST your assembly against the organelle genome after assembly it is quite clear that this type of filtering is not really effective.

It is slower, but I use BLAST for filtering, which leaves no contamination in the final assembly. Either way you choose to go, just keep in mind that checking that the filtering actually worked is quick and easy, and will reduce headaches downstream.
SES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filtering, mitochondrial, ngs data analysis