SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
JonCohen

Default Hello from NVIDIA

Hi,

I'm the manager of the CUDA Libraries and Algorithms group at NVIDIA - that includes all of the libraries that come with CUDA like cuBLAS, cuSPARSE, etc. We also have new initiatives that I would call more "applied research" to develop functionality built on top of CUDA in emerging high-tech areas.

One of our new focus areas is in bioinformatics. We've been doing some work prototyping short-read aligners in CUDA, similar to BarraCUDA or CUSHAW. We have CUDA-accelerated versions of the BWA and Bowtie2 algorithms, and we are seeing some really nice speedups on our preliminary benchmarking. It's probably not worth saying too much more since none of this has been peer-reviewed yet.

Based on these success, we are committed to investing more seriously in building bioinformatics expertise at NVIDIA, and making CUDA a platform that is friendly to bioinformatics researchers. Hence, my interest in learning more about bioinformatics.

I'm happy to answer any questions about CUDA - I see that it comes up from time to time. I don't want to be here as any type of salesman - I will try to be as candid as possible about the strengths and weaknesses of our technology.

Regards,
Jon
JonCohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Welcome to SEQanswers!
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuda, introduction