No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling to amplify DNA with barcoded primers

Dear all

I am using the MiSeq for 16S amplicon sequencing with custom barcodes.

I use the barcoded primers on extracted genomic DNA. However, I have quite low concentrations of starting DNA, sometimes too low for a Qubit to detect. Some samples amplify well with the primers, some dont and some dont at all. It doesnt seem to relate to starting conc as sometimes the ones with undetectable levels amplify well.

I know that there can be random fluctuations in priming efficiency with low conc DNA samples but I dont know how to get those ones that dont amplify to work....

Ive tried touchdown PCR, enrichment PCR and varying annealing temps and template amount added but nothing works. When I do the PCR with the same primers minus the barcodes, they pretty much all work well.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

when we've had similar problems with a barcoded primer set i've simply performed two rounds of PCR - use the primers without barcodes first, and the reamplify with the barcoded primers.

if you want to keep cycle numbers down, you should be able to get away with ~ 10-20 cycles for the first PCR and ~10-20 for the second depending on efficiency.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I tried that and got nothing with the first primers after 10 cycles... Might have to give it another go. It works well with a full 30 cycles each but there's no way I want to do that!

Comment

i hear you - good luck!

at this point, i don't even bother running out the 1st PCR on a gel - we'll run the results of the 2nd pcr through the qubit and bioanalyzer to check sizing and concentration, and have had pretty good luck so far.

another option is to remove half of the reaction after, say, 10 or 15 cycles and let the rest go to completion to run on a gel - this will give you confirmation that the reaction is 'working' but allow you to use the portion of the reaction that you removed as the template for the next round.

Comment

Thanks again, I'll have a play with it again. I dont see why I shouldnt be able to get it to work! At least I know Im not crazy and other people can make it work! Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses