No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New k-mers overpresentation by adapter trimming

Hi
    I am working on an Illumina Hiseq paired end whole genome data.

The data shows overrepresentation of adapter sequences such as TruSeq Adapter, Index 14 (97% over 40bp) according to the quality reported by the fastqc analysis.

So I performed trimming of the reads by the TruSeq-PE adapter sequences in trimmomatic data and performed fastqc after trimming.

The post-trimming data shows appearance of new k-mers overrepresented at various positions within 0-50 bp. The bbmap analysis for the percentage match still shows no remarkable mismatch problems, indicating that the k-mers could be genomic.

I have attached the before and after trimming k-mer overpresentation plots herewith.

This observation makes me doubt the need of trimming in paired end data.

My question is :
    Do we indeed need to perform trimming in such cases ?
    Any suggestion on change in the trimming was needed such as using only the overrepresented adapter sequences and but not other adapters from the same library in the analysis.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ty23991; 06-22-2015, 11:28 AM.

Considering the Y-axis is log-scale, it looks like trimming vastly reduced the rate of overrepresented kmers (though I've never been sure exactly how to interpret the graph), which would be a good thing. What kind of trim rate did you get?

Also, note that if you have contamination by synthetic artifacts of set length, that will not affect BBMap's error rate histograms because the fully-artifact reads won't map to your reference.

Comment

Hi Brian
      Thanks for the suggestion.

Here is the trimming report:

Trimming was performed by using 1 prefix pairs, 10 forward/reverse sequences

Input Read Pairs: 532073495
      Both Surviving: 510614940 (~96 %)
      Forward Only Surviving: 13002991 (2.4%)
      Reverse Only Surviving: 3487288 (0.7%)
      Dropped: 4968275 (0.9%)

Comment

It's hard to extrapolate from that to derive the number of reads/bases that were trimmed due to adapter sequence, but it looks like trimming was probably a good idea in that case.

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I am thinking to perform the alignment on both with and without trimming and compare the results.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Yesterday, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses