SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
454 quality score, z-score,.. nii 454 Pyrosequencing 4 10-15-2020 07:29 AM
Threshold quality score to determine the quality read of ILLUMINA reads problem edge Illumina/Solexa 35 11-02-2015 11:31 AM
SNP quality score in Samtools pileup wangzkai Bioinformatics 5 09-21-2011 07:32 AM
Samtools pileup indel quality score computation christophpale Bioinformatics 0 07-27-2010 01:51 PM
Fastq quliaty score and MAQ output quality score baohua100 Bioinformatics 1 02-19-2009 10:21 AM

Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
luxmare

Unhappy deletion '*' has quality score in pileup?

I know that asterisks '*' in read bases column represent deletions as place holders in pileup format. But in my data, deletion '*' seems to has base quality score. why deleted bases have base qualities?

In this example, there are 6 bases and 1 deletion at the site 25, and the number of base qualities is 7. Can I simply ignore the base quality 'a' corresponding to the deleted base?

chr1 24 g 7 ,..,-1t.,, ``a]bb\
chr1 25 t 7 ,..*.,, b[baaa`
chr1 26 t 7 ,..,.,, a_baa]_

Thanks in advance.

FYI:

I constructed pileup file by using the following command

$ ./samtools-0.1.7a/samtools pileup -f reference.fa <in.bam> > <out.pileup>
luxmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
epigen

The base quality is also a place holder just as the * in the reads column.

I found similar occurrences in my data (created with samtools pileup -vcf), e.g.

chr14 65392038 T A 0 0 0 1 * W

Note that the weird consensus A must result from a floating underflow in the MAQ SNP calling model (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...?title=SAM_FAQ). Although the FAQ answer says that this only happens in repetitive regions, the reference T is upper case and I just checked again in the UCSC Genome Browser for hg19 that there is no repeat. So I guess the reason is that there is only one read.
epigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
Torst

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmare View Post
I know that asterisks '*' in read bases column represent deletions as place holders in pileup format. But in my data, deletion '*' seems to has base quality score. why deleted bases have base qualities?
I don't know how samtools handles this particularly, but the IDEA of giving a deletion a "quality score" is good. A quality score is essentially just a logarithm of a "probability of error" or "probability that this is wrong". So you can interpret it as a statistical confidence of the deletion being real.
Torst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
luxmare

Unhappy

Hi Torst,
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you. Quality scores of deletions is informative. But if the pileup format (made by BWA->SAMtools) was designed based on the IDEA you said, inserted bases should have base quality scores. Actually, however, inserted bases don't have qualities as below. I'm confusing...

chr3 7759 C 4 ..,, SO]^
chr3 7760 C 4 .+1G.,, \\\[ <-- 4 ref-type bases and 1 insertion, but only 4 qualities
chr3 7761 G 4 ..,, GT[a
luxmare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deletion, pileup, quality, samtools