Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perplexing bowtie2 repeat alignments

I am seeing something perplexing, can you help? I am trying to call variants in plasmids. To do this I am using bowtie2, freebayes and an assortment of other tools. As a QC I’m initially using plasmids of known sequence and reads derived from them. I then introduce alterations in the reference plasmid sequence, align the reads and call variants. One of these altered plasmids has two 2kb exact repeats separated by ~2kb. Into the center of one of these, a 6bp insertion was introduced. The PE reads I then align (separately) come from 2 libraries, one of ~400bp insertions and the other ~800bp insertions. With the 400bp insert library, bowtie2 (in end-to-end mode) produces no gapped alignments that span the insert. With the 800bp insert library, it does. It is unclear to me why bowtie2 did not align these reads and their pairs to the other repeat, since the insert size is not long enough to anchor the pair outside the repeat and the other repeat would have provided a more perfect match (I am running bowtie2 in the default mode that reports only the best alignment). Speculating that the pairs aligning to this position might have longer than average inserts I examined the alignment with “tablet” but found, to the contrary, many have smaller than 800bp inserts. Can someone kindly explain this?
    Last edited by Mark; 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
    Yesterday, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses