SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWA, I don't know what I'm doing asheenlevrai General 0 12-29-2011 11:35 AM
Qiagen SeqTarget system - Don't go there friend !! lek2k Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 08-18-2011 06:32 PM
Samtools don't read the whole data mikael Bioinformatics 6 08-09-2011 12:37 PM
Don't know if I'm right anna_ Introductions 4 12-13-2010 12:32 PM
something wrong with tophat-1.0.14 version, don't use it frankyue50 Bioinformatics 4 10-04-2010 09:33 AM

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
bpb9

Default Please don't eat me.

Hello SeqAnswers community! Very glad to have found this forum. I apologize in advance for asking what to some might be obvious questions, but having recently made the switch from bench to desktop, I anticipate having a lot of those! Maybe with your collective insight and expertise that elusive PhD will no longer elude me! Cheers, B
bpb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
westerman
Rick Westerman

Hi. When you ask questions -- and I hope you do -- please make sure that you have done your homework first. I.e., read the previous forum posts. I suspect that we all love new and interesting problems and questions yet dislike people who just post without doing their footwork first.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
pbluescript

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
Hi. When you ask questions -- and I hope you do -- please make sure that you have done your homework first. I.e., read the previous forum posts. I suspect that we all love new and interesting problems and questions yet dislike people who just post without doing their footwork first.
I wish there was some way to filter posts based on this advice. There are many posts I don't even respond to just because I'd rather not do someone's searches for them.
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
pmiguel

Yeah, but there is little "expert knowledge" in a web search. I don't mind so much answering questions that I could answer using a web search. I supposedly have years of training and can weigh available information to quickly find salient info.

I mind posts where the poster did not even bother to clearly specify their question -- provide enough information that it is possible to give a good answer.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Joann

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbluescript View Post
I wish there was some way to filter posts based on this advice. There are many posts I don't even respond to just because I'd rather not do someone's searches for them.
Also in the case of student posts, I think it is very important not to interfere at all with the very valuable learning process that goes along with the searching. That's why I am in favor of those in the forum who want questions with more detail as to the scope of the problem--this helps to determine whether a quick technical pointer is really in order.

And I suggest an abbreviation like "SES" = "someone else's search" as a response/cue for impatient seekers.
Joann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 AM   #6
bpb9

Default Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I will definitely scour the web and program documentation and attempt things on my own before posting!
bpb9 is offline   Reply With Quote