Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find where an Isoform of a gene is expressed in normal tissue

Hello. I have the sequence of a particular isoform of a gene I'm interested in and I am trying to find out where it is normally expressed in the human body. This sequence was found in cancer cells originally. One suggestion was to use the ucsc genome browser, however that did not prove to be a viable option. The other was to download all of these fastq files from illumina bodymap 2.0 which I did and then I would have to download Bowtie 2.0 and allign 68 of these fastq files using this tool and then convert these alignments into SAM files and then convert these to BAM files and then use an application called "R" to search for my coordinates on this giant map, the problem with this approach is that its going to take a long time due to the speed of the computer I am using and because I am not a bioinformatics person. I was wondering if there was an easier way to find this information. I've tried using NCBI Blast and NCBI SRA blast. Are there any other ways to do this quickly and more efficiently?

Have you tried searching NCBI GEO with the name of your gene/isoform?

Comment

Are you asking about the tissue-specificity of your gene or the specific isoform you have?
      For the gene, look at the "expression" section in genecards (http://www.genecards.org/). For the isoform, search for "ECgene alternative splicing isoforms for" in your genecards results and follow the link. If there is sufficient data on isoform expression available, you will find some tissue-specificities in the "EST clustering result with Confidence Medium level "

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses