No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exome Sequencing with NimbleGen SeqCap EZ v2

Hi all!

We used NimblGen's SeqCap EZ Human Exome Library v2.0 followed by paired-end sequencing on the Illumina GAIIx for exome sequencing. BWA was used for sequence alignment. About 95% of the reads could be aligned to the genome. However, only about 60% of all aligned reads align within the target region. NimbleGen says, that 80% on target is feasible.

Did anyone reach 80% with this library? Any experiences with this library are welcome. We used the SeqCap v.1 library first and achieved the same percentage on target (60%). So the new version did not improve the results in our case. Merely the target region is larger now.

Best wishes,
    Ulli

what is the % reads on target including +/-100bp? if this metric shows >90% reads on target then i suspect your coverage issue can be resolved by narrowing the gDNA insert size based on your preferred read length. (i.e. ~200bp insert for 2x100bp reads)

Comment

Hi!

I used the "Tiled Region" provided by NimbleGen as .bed file for my calculations.
      (http://www.nimblegen.com/products/se...tml#annotation)

When I understand you correctly, it might happen that I have reads with one end of the read on target and the other end off target. In my calculations, such an overlapping paired-end read is counted as one sequence on target and one sequence off target. I will extend the Tiled Region by 300bp and recalculated the % on target. Maybe this will increase the % on target to ~ 80%.

However, I wonder why I obtained the advertised 60% with the version 1 library, even though I used the same strict method to calculate the % on target.

Regards,
      Ulli

Comment

could be the probes used to target additional loci in v2 are less stringent, or a difference in sample prep
        Last edited by upenn_ngs; 03-07-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

My numbers are consistently better than those Nimblegen quotes.

My experience:

At 80M reads, >97% of tiled regions were covered at 10X or higher, and nearly 100% of tiled bases are covered at least once.

Randomly extracting 20M reads from that, >83% of tiled regions are covered at 10X or higher, and almost 97% of tiled regions are covered at least once.

Edit:

Sorry, I think I misunderstood. It looks like your confusion is regarding "off-target" enrichment, not coverage of the tiled intervals. Expect a very large number of alignments to regions immediately adjacent to the tiles. We expect >90% (the number currently quoted by Nimblegen as far as I know) of the tiles to have reads covering them at 10X or higher generally. However, I also find significantly higher coverage outside the tiled intervals than Nimblegen claims. That said, it doesn't negatively impact the exome enrichment and simultaneously yields extra in the introns/UTRs, so I don't see it as a bad thing.
          Last edited by Michael.James.Clark; 04-26-2011, 10:46 AM.
          Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
          Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
          Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses