No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estimate Dispersions with DESeq2

Hello! =)

I'm a beginner (Blutiger Anfänger) at bioinformatics and so I've got a beginners question, sorry! Nowadays I'm trying to run DESeq2 with a dataset without replicates. It's a dataset with two columns (2 conditions, "control" and "infected").
    Which method do you recommend me to estimate the dispersion of my data? ( "pooled", "pooled-CR", "per-condition", "blind"?). I was reading about these methods but it's difficult for me to say which one I should use.

If I just use the command "estimateDispersions" without specifying the method to make use of, which one is applied?

What should I be careful with?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

fpesce,

sorry I can't replicate any bug with mixed numeric and categorical variables for >100 samples. If you can email me a small reproducible example (maybe subsetting the rows of dds) I can look into it. My email is listed in help(package="DESeq2")

But I would recommend turning age into a categorical variable. You can split it into biologically meaningful groups: <18 y/o, 19-35, etc. Then the average effect of each group is controlled for, regardless of the trend over years. This often makes more sense rather than assuming a constant log2 fold change per year.

You can turn numerics into factors using cut():

> age <- 40:50
      > cut(age, breaks=c(0,30,45,60,200))
      [1] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (45,60] (45,60] (45,60]
      [10] (45,60] (45,60]
      Levels: (0,30] (30,45] (45,60] (60,200]

Comment

IsBeth,

There is information about the methods used by estimateDispersions in the ?estimateDispersions man page.

In DESeq2, the Cox-Reid estimator (a penalized maximum likelihood estimator) is the only method provided, as it covers all experimental designs.

it is also discussed in this man page what happens in the case of a 1 vs 1 comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
          fpesce,

sorry I can't replicate any bug with mixed numeric and categorical variables for >100 samples. If you can email me a small reproducible example (maybe subsetting the rows of dds) I can look into it. My email is listed in help(package="DESeq2")

But I would recommend turning age into a categorical variable. You can split it into biologically meaningful groups: <18 y/o, 19-35, etc. Then the average effect of each group is controlled for, regardless of the trend over years. This often makes more sense rather than assuming a constant log2 fold change per year.

You can turn numerics into factors using cut():

> age <- 40:50
          > cut(age, breaks=c(0,30,45,60,200))
          [1] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (30,45] (45,60] (45,60] (45,60]
          [10] (45,60] (45,60]
          Levels: (0,30] (30,45] (45,60] (60,200]
          Thank you so much Mike, this completely makes sense and actually solved this issue.

Comment

Thanks Mike for your answer =)

I should have said before that I have read already the brief explanations about the different methods (sorry), yet my problem is that I have not enough statistic skills to understand why I'm using a certain dispersion method and not another in DEseq (not DEseq2). Is there a way to get specific math and statistic skills to understand R properly?

Comment

Hi all,

I am trying to use DESeq2 just after HTSeq-count.

I am following the tuto in the DESeq2 vignette but when I try to do the:
              Code:
              res <- results(dds)
              Although I think I just followed the tuto properly, I get this error message
              Code:
              Error in is.numeric(cooksCutoff) : 'cooksCutoff' is missing
              I can't find any answer about this error...

Cheers

Comment

Hi all,

I just found the answser, I was trying to use DESeq2 with only two count files (waiting for the other one to come).
                Now that I am using it with 6 files it's ok. It looks like it was the issue.

Cheers

Comment

hi,

Sorry, this was a simple bug for when number of samples equaled number of coefficients, which also came up on the Bioconductor mailing list. I pushed a fix to the release branch.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by KHubbard View Post
                    Hello,

In DESeq, it was possible to view/export the baseMean values for each condition (baseMeanA and baseMeanB) in addition to the overall baseMean. In DESeq2, I have only been able to view/export the overall baseMean. Is it possible to acquire the baseMean values for each condition as well? Thanks!
                    I'm bumping up KHubbard's question because I have the same one and it seems it didn't get answered the first time around. I have looked at the structure of the DESeqDataSet object (best as an R neophyte can) and don't see them in there. Is there any way to get these values in DESeq2?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kmcarr View Post
                      I'm bumping up KHubbard's question because I have the same one and it seems it didn't get answered the first time around. I have looked at the structure of the DESeqDataSet object (best as an R neophyte can) and don't see them in there. Is there any way to get these values in DESeq2?

Thanks.
                      Wasn't Michael's reply (the next post) in regard to that?

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
                        Wasn't Michael's reply (the next post) in regard to that?
                        In the words of Homer Simpson, "DOH!!"

Thank Devon, and apologies to everyone.

Comment

Hello,

I'm using DESeq2 and so far it seems to work well. But why are the log fold changes so low? They have values between 0 and 1, even when the genes are differentially expressed.

Comment

Maybe there is not much happening in your data?

Can you post an MA plot?

Also, make sure you understand the conspt of shrunken fold changes. (See our paper for details.)

Edit: Values between 0 and 1? No negative values? Sounds like you are looking at the p values, not the log fold changes.

Comment

In my MAplot are differential expressed genes (in red). Yes, there are also negative values. I think I don't understand the concept of shrunken fold changes, still a newbie

It just seemed strange to me as I compared the lfc values after using edgeR and DESeq2
                              Last edited by IsBeth; 06-20-2014, 06:19 AM.

Comment

If you don't show us the MA plot, we can't tell you whether it looks right. That's why I suggested you post it. Also tell us about the biology of your experiment.

EdgeR's log fold-changes are not shrunken, DESeq2's are. They are a new feature in DESeq2, and explained in our paper.

Hence, sorry if the following question sounds a bit direct but: By "I don't understand the concept of shrunken fold changes", do you mean that you have read our preprint but found the explanation unclear (in which case we should improve it) or that you have not yet looked at our paper (in which case we would be disappointed that nobody reads what we wrote)? ;-) You don't need to read the whole thing; just the section on shrunken fold changes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                                0 responses