No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing DNA Extraction from Dried Insects

Hi all,
    I am attempting to get enough (and good enough) DNA extracted from dried adult butterflies to do sequence capture. I've been told I need at least 1 microgram of DNA for guaranteed results, which is a bar I have not yet met (0.952 micrograms is the most I've gotten, to date).

I have been mechanically grinding a single leg per specimen, and then using overnight incubation with proteinase K, followed by phenol chloroform extraction (the commercial Omniprep kit), according to the standard procedure (except that I'm using Glycoblue instead of the glycogen that comes with the kit).

Does anyone have recommendations for tweaks this procedure, or other procedures that may increase yeild?

Otherwise, when do you say enough's enough (for quality and quantity) and send it off and hope for the best?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but could you just process a couple more legs and combine the samples with ethanol precipitation later?

Comment

Sometimes soaking dried insects in TE overnight before the extraction can help with recovery

Comment

Not a stupid questions at all, kerplunk412. I'm trying to find the sweet spot where I can still get enough DNA to do NGS, without destroying half the specimen--these are museum specimens, and some of the species are quite rare and not easily replaced.

Good suggestion, JamesH.

Comment

What about taking the DNA that you have gotten and try doing MALBAC or some other whole genome amplification (not sure how well this would work)

Comment

We have a kit for WGA on order. While I'm waiting, I'm trying to collect other ideas in case that doesn't work well. I'm concerned that since the DNA in some cases is already rather degraded, I'll just end up amplifying junk. Worth a shot, though.

Comment

Have you found a solution yet? What is your PK digestion conditions?

Originally posted by HannahOish View Post
              We have a kit for WGA on order. While I'm waiting, I'm trying to collect other ideas in case that doesn't work well. I'm concerned that since the DNA in some cases is already rather degraded, I'll just end up amplifying junk. Worth a shot, though.

Comment

HannahOish,

May I ask what the range of yields you have found so far? I ask because if your goal is to do WGS for rare specimens, where sample preservation is at a premium, you may already have enough material to construct good, high-complexity libraries without amplification.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses