No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0 fpkm for genes with reads

Hi All
    I have come across an issue of 0 fpkm even when there are reads for a locus.
    I downloaded mm10 genome and annotation from https://ccb.jhu.edu/software/tophat/igenomes.shtml as recommended.
    I am using TopHat v2.1.1 and Cufflinks v2.2.1 for this analysis.
    I have 2 technical replicates that have almost similar amount of reads and correlate well when it comes to protein coding genes (R=0.99, pearson) but some genes such as follows:
    Genename REP1 REP2
    Snord104 0 81982.5
    Show 0 fpkm in one replicate but huge fpkm is another replicate. This is confusing because the amount of read counts for this locus is close enough in both replicates (REP1=154 reads and REP2=199 reads).
    I have read forums that say how this is a bam file and annotation/gtf file sorting issue and has been fixed in the latest version and yet I am getting results like this.
    Please help me understand what I am doing wrong here.
    I will be extremely grateful for your concern.
    Here is my command:
    REF=/home/mparida/MM10_GENOME/Mus_musculus/UCSC/mm10/Sequence/WholeGenomeFasta/genome.fa
    ANNOTATION=/home/mparida/MM10_GENOME/Mus_musculus/UCSC/mm10/Annotation/Archives/archive-2015-07-17-14-33-26/Genes/genes.gtf
    BOWTIE2IDX=/home/mparida/MM10_GENOME/Mus_musculus/UCSC/mm10/Sequence/Bowtie2Index/genome
    REPEAT=/home/mparida/mm10_repeatmasker.gtf

cufflinks -o $ODIR/CUFFLINKS/ -p 16 -b $REF -u --library-type fr-unstranded -N --compatible-hits-norm -G $ANNOTATION -M $REPEAT $ODIR/Sample_2_REP1.bam
    cufflinks -o $ODIR/CUFFLINKS/ -p 16 -b $REF -u --library-type fr-unstranded -N --compatible-hits-norm -G $ANNOTATION -M $REPEAT $ODIR/Sample_2_REP2.bam
    Rocky
    Last edited by mparida; 02-06-2017, 05:40 PM.

0 FPKM of genes with reads cufflinks

Hi All
    I tried mapping my reads to the transcriptome instead of the genome and then computed the FPKM using eXpress algorithm (from the collaborating group that wrote cufflinks) and now my technical replicates are correlating well for protein coding and non-coding regions.
    I also did a comparison between fpkm generated by cufflinks and eXpress for protein coding genes only and they correlate well (0.97). This analysis suggests that cufflinks is not very effective when generating fpkm for noncoding regions in my samples.
    Hope this helps others.
    Rocky

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses