No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapping with botwie/bwa

Hello!
    I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new in metagenomic and metatranscriptomic stuffs... I'd like to map my Hiseq shotgun metatranscriptomic reads to some reference genomes (I already know the microbial community composition, since I analysed 16S data), using botwie or bwa. The question is: do I have to map each sample to each genome? or is there a way to map to more genomes at the same time? And if not, how can I merge the multiple mapping files from the same sample, then?

Thanks a bunch
    Francesca

Originally posted by Francy87 View Post
    Hello!
    I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm new in metagenomic and metatranscriptomic stuffs... I'd like to map my Hiseq shotgun metatranscriptomic reads to some reference genomes (I already know the microbial community composition, since I analysed 16S data), using botwie or bwa. The question is: do I have to map each sample to each genome? or is there a way to map to more genomes at the same time? And if not, how can I merge the multiple mapping files from the same sample, then?

Thanks a bunch
    Francesca
    No you wont have to map them separately. Create a multi-fasta file of all your reference sequences and then build the mapping index from that.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmybee View Post
      No you wont have to map them separately. Create a multi-fasta file of all your reference sequences and then build the mapping index from that.

Hi Jimmy,
      Thanks for your reply. Can I just 'cat' all the reference genomes together or should I modify them in some way?
      Thanks again
      Francesca

Comment

Cat them together, then you use bowtie-build or bwa index to make the index. Then you align.

Comment

Originally posted by Francy87 View Post
          Hi Jimmy,
          Thanks for your reply. Can I just 'cat' all the reference genomes together or should I modify them in some way?
          Thanks again
          Francesca
          Yeah no need to modify them.

Comment

Hi again!
            I downloaded some reference genomes from the ncbi ftp site (about 500). Is there a simple way to cat all of them recursevely without doing it one at the time? I have many directories, each one with one genome in .fna format...

Thanks

Comment

If all of the *.fna files are only buried one directory deep, then something like the following bash script should work:

Code:
              #!/bin/bash
              dirs=`find . -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d`
              for d in $dirs
              do
                  cat $d/*.fna >> genomes.fna
              done
              This could be modified to easily handle the presence of subdirectories.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses