Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting for species abundance changes in metatranscriptomic data

In metatranscriptomic data, transcript abundance in a sample is influenced by species abundance as well as expression changes.

For anyone working with this data, how do you deal with the fact that species abundance fluctuation can lead to spurious DE calls? I am using DESeq2, and was wondering whether abundance of a 'housekeeping' gene can be (or has been) used to adjust for species abundance differences between samples.

Cheers,

Lauren

You could consider performing analysis at the different scales you are interested in.

Let's say we have a reference sample which has counts of 8 for all rows. (In DESeq, such a reference sample is constructed by taking the geometric mean of all samples).

Then we have sample X which has counts:

species A gene 1: 8
    species A gene 2: 8
    species A gene 100: 8
    species B gene 1: 4
    species B gene 2: 4
    species B gene 19: 4
    species B gene 20: 2

If you use the median ratio method for estimating size factors over all 120 rows, the size factor for sample X would be 1. The genes 1-19 for species B will get log2 fold change of -1 and the gene 20 for species B will get log2 fold change of -2.

However, if you subset to the species B rows, sample X would get a size factor of 0.5 from the median ratio method. Then all genes except gene 20 will get a log2 fold change of 0, while gene 20 will have a log2 fold change of -1.

If you want to create a matrix of size factors for every row and every sample (called normalization factors in DESeq2), you could use the estimateSizeFactorsForMatrix function, and applying it to different sets of rows.
    Last edited by Michael Love; 05-12-2014, 02:53 AM.

Comment

It's not clear to me why you would want to account for species abundance changes. What's important is the amount of RNA in the sample dedicated to some purpose. Does it matter whether the level of some transcript is higher because species with that gene reproduced more, versus species remaining unchanged but generating more of that transcript per cell? Either way, it become more expressed in the community.

Comment

So is this the same as analysing each organism individually?

The only case I can imagine this missing is when an organism ramps up expression for all genes (or almost all genes), then above approach may not detect upregulation. I don't know how likely this scenario is though.
        I guess this is where the species/sample-specific normalisation factors would come in. I'll have to think on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
          It's not clear to me why you would want to account for species abundance changes. What's important is the amount of RNA in the sample dedicated to some purpose. Does it matter whether the level of some transcript is higher because species with that gene reproduced more, versus species remaining unchanged but generating more of that transcript per cell? Either way, it become more expressed in the community.
          I can understand where you are coming from, however, I'll just stress that our study is species-centric (it's a simple model community of phylogenetically distinct species), where we are interested in how species are interacting and competing with each other in the community for limited resources. Thus, the origin of the transcripts is important! If a species decreases substantially in abundance, but upregulates an alternative metabolic pathway at the same time, we definitely would like to detect that upregulation (rather than just observing that all the transcripts from that species have decreased in abundance).

Comment

Sounds difficult. Have you considered simultaneously sequencing DNA and RNA? That would probably be the most accurate way to normalize for population changes.

Comment

That definitely would be a good idea -- but unlikely to happen for this study (as is often the case!).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
                You could consider performing analysis at the different scales you are interested in.

Let's say we have a reference sample which has counts of 8 for all rows. (In DESeq, such a reference sample is constructed by taking the geometric mean of all samples).

Then we have sample X which has counts:

species A gene 1: 8
                species A gene 2: 8
                species A gene 100: 8
                species B gene 1: 4
                species B gene 2: 4
                species B gene 19: 4
                species B gene 20: 2

If you use the median ratio method for estimating size factors over all 120 rows, the size factor for sample X would be 1. The genes 1-19 for species B will get log2 fold change of -1 and the gene 20 for species B will get log2 fold change of -2.

However, if you subset to the species B rows, sample X would get a size factor of 0.5 from the median ratio method. Then all genes except gene 20 will get a log2 fold change of 0, while gene 20 will have a log2 fold change of -1.

If you want to create a matrix of size factors for every row and every sample (called normalization factors in DESeq2), you could use the estimateSizeFactorsForMatrix function, and applying it to different sets of rows.
                Sorry to drag this question back up, but it relates to issue I had in the other thread -- I have a sample where, for a given species A, the sample has no observations of any genes from species A. So the calculated normalisation factor is NA for these genes. Got any suggestions for what I should do? Thanks!

Comment

Normalising metatranscriptomic data with metagenomic data

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
                  Sounds difficult. Have you considered simultaneously sequencing DNA and RNA? That would probably be the most accurate way to normalize for population changes.
                  Hi Brian, I am currently setting up such an experiment as you suggest above where I want to know "who is doing what" in a community under two different conditions. Your suggestion is exactly what I want to achieve but I am unsure how exactly- do you have any ideas on this please?

Comment

Originally posted by lbragg View Post
                    In metatranscriptomic data, transcript abundance in a sample is influenced by species abundance as well as expression changes.

For anyone working with this data, how do you deal with the fact that species abundance fluctuation can lead to spurious DE calls? I am using DESeq2, and was wondering whether abundance of a 'housekeeping' gene can be (or has been) used to adjust for species abundance differences between samples.

Cheers,

Lauren
                    It's not possible to account for such changes using RNA-Seq data only. You always need another dimension. Check the following two out

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses