No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing a Bam file with Samtools

Hi all,
    after a break of 6 years (see my last post), I'm finally working with IGV again. This time, I'm not working with pre-indexed files, but have to check reference data for which only bam files are available, I have to index them myself. Only I just can't get the hang of it - everyone recommends Samtools, which I have downloaded, but I haven't the slightest idea how to actually run it under Windows (it seems to be ported from Linux, which I have never worked with in my life). Can anybody point me toward a dummy-proof tutorial on how to actually perform such indexing on Windows? I have been googling it for the better part of the day, and everything I have found up to now requires a certain kind of familiarity with the subject... As I am more or less on my own now (don't work in a lab any more, but need to finish a project), I don't have anyone I can ask.

It doesn't have to be Samtools - if there is any other Windows-friendly software out there with which I can index a bam file, that's fine with me...

I downloaded bam files from the European Nucleotide Archive - I don't know if any of the other formats would be easier for my purposes?

Thanks anyone who can help me out here (and I apologise about asking such a nooby question

I highly recommend you get access to Linux, or your bioinformatics capabilities will be somewhat crippled. This could mean dual booting, getting an account on a compute cluster, running a virtual machine (you can run a free virtual machine in Windows and install a free Linux distro in that virtual machine) doesn't really matter too much.

That said, try Picard:

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick reply! Actually, I don't really do much in bioinformatics (hence the silly question), and I probably won't actually need it after this... I'll look into that link, thanks very much!

Comment

Have you tried using Galaxy?
        Galaxy is a community-driven web-based analysis platform for life science research.
        Josh Kinman

Comment

Just discovered the direct link via ENA to Galaxy, that's just it, thanks very much!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses