No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5' end of Illumina sequencing primers, specificity

Hello to everybody!

I am new in Illumina sequencing and have a question (apology if the answer is already somewhere here, but I could not find it)

I had a look on Illumina sequencing primers and the primers which used for library preparation (Nextera) (https://support.illumina.com/content...0002694-01.pdf, http://nextgen.mgh.harvard.edu/attachments/Nextera%20Protocol.pdf) and it seems that they have just 3' end complementarity (19 out of 38 nt). In theory 3' end part would be enough for specific Sequencing by Synthesis. Why do you need this non-complementary 5' tail then? Why don't make it shorter? Or am I just looking at some wrong sequences?

Here are the sequencing primers for the library prepared with Nextera Kit:
    Nextera Read 1 Primer: 5′-GCCTCCCTCGCGCCATCAGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-3′
    Nextera Read 2 Primer: 5′-GCCTTGCCAGCCCGCTCAGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG-3′

Final product ends:
    Fw: 5’-AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[i5]TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG[GSP part]
    Rev: 5’- CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT[i7]GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG[GSP part]

Attached there is a nicer picture

Thanks for help!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MaxNorkin; 07-15-2017, 02:11 PM.

Originally posted by MaxNorkin View Post
    Hello to everybody!

I am new in Illumina sequencing and have a question (apology if the answer is already somewhere here, but I could not find it)

I had a look on Illumina sequencing primers and the primers which used for library preparation (Nextera) (https://support.illumina.com/content...0002694-01.pdf, http://nextgen.mgh.harvard.edu/attachments/Nextera%20Protocol.pdf) and it seems that they have just 3' end complementarity (19 out of 38 nt). In theory 3' end part would be enough for specific Sequencing by Synthesis. Why do you need this non-complementary 5' tail then? Why don't make it shorter? Or am I just looking at some wrong sequences?

Here are the sequencing primers for the library prepared with Nextera Kit:

Final product ends:
    Fw: 5’-AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGATCTACAC[i5]TCGTCGGCAGCGTCAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG[GSP part]
    Rev: 5’- CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT[i7]GTCTCGTGGGCTCGGAGATGTGTATAAGAGACAG[GSP part]

Attached there is a nicer picture

Thanks for help!
    You need these "Long" primers in order to be able to cluster/sequence. Cheers

Comment

Dear ianakiev, thanks for your reply! I am sorry, but I think you didn't get my question. I am asking about sequencing primers, not indexing primers. These ones:

I didn't get why there are some strange non-complementary (to cDNA library sequences) letters at the 5'ends of these primers.

Anyway, it seems that these are wrong sequences, real sequencing primers should have the same sequence as transposes adapters (the sequence between GSP and Index). Well, it's an assumption because Illumina doesn't provide this information (according to our CF). I am wondering if somebody performed Sanger sequencing of these guys?

Comment

I think what he's trying to say is that those are the sequences needed to actually bind the template to the oligonucleotide lawn on the flow cell.

Comment

Oh.. I am sorry if I misunderstood. Now I'm stuck. Could you please give a hint how that would work? How sequencing primers could help to bind the template to flow cell?

I thought that cDNA molecules bind to the flow cell via P5/P7 adaptors which are located at the very end of template. These ones:

Final product ends:

(?_?)

Comment

Sorry - it looks like I misunderstood, not you.

I think the added sequencing primer bases are meant to keep the Tm of the primer in the appropriate range for the sequencer. For example, when designing custom primers, you need to aim for a Tm above 60-65 (it varies a little by sequencer) to ensure that it anneals and doesn't melt away during synthesis.

Comment

The sequences in green colors are needed for hybridization to the flow cell primers. That is what I meant. Cheers

Comment

Y shaped adaptors.

The reason they have such sequence this that during ligation or transposon based insertion. They will form a Y shaped fork.
                >= XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX =< where XXXXXXXXXXX is your insert
                = represents the complementary sequence between Adaptor 1 and Adaptor 2 (highlighted in orange in your question). > and < represent two strands of Adaptor 1 and 2 which do not have complementarity.

Adaptor 1 may have the exact sequence for say Primer 1 whereas Adaptor 2 will have the reverse complementary sequence to Primer 2.
                or
                Adaptor 2 may have the exact sequence for say Primer 1 whereas Adaptor 2 will have the reverse complementary sequence to Primer 1.
                Please look at the adaptor sequences and you would realize this.
                I am not 100% about Nextera primers but this is a generally Illumina strategy for many sequencing kits.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                • seqadmin
                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                0 responses