SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Site News > Site Announcements

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
qseq format question Bruins Illumina/Solexa 3 07-20-2010 03:52 AM
srf format question ashah Bioinformatics 2 07-09-2010 02:54 PM
Question about using sra_toolkit to transform the SRA format into FASTQ format areyousad Bioinformatics 0 05-16-2010 11:56 PM
Data Format Question rwenang Bioinformatics 2 02-06-2009 10:13 PM
If you could use next-gen sequencing technology to answer any question.... ECO General 2 06-18-2008 11:21 PM

Old 05-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
ECO
--Site Admin--

Default Question and Answer Format: http://I.SEQanswers.com

Please have a look at http://i.SEQanswers.com

In response to comments in this thread, I've installed an instance of OSQA, a relatively new open-source content management system that is focused in a question and answer format.

Most of you from the programming world are probably familiar with Stack Overflow (behind which sits the closed-source/business debacle Stack Exchange).

The tag-based format is extremely powerful for organizing complex topics which span multiple forums....which is a major challenge with a traditional forum (ex...Does a 454 informatics question go in the Bioinformatics or 454 forums?).

I'm not replacing the forums any time soon. I'm looking for any and all feedback (and perhaps a Django/Ruby programmer ).
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
lh3

Thanks a lot. This looks very interesting.
lh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
pmiguel

As an replacement for the current forums, I think this system would be detrimental to an aspect of seqanswers that I value.

Currently there is some possibility of having a public discussion on a given topic. I see the USENET-like back and forth of a discussion as a mechanism for coming to an understanding of a fairly complex issue.

I don't want to be too harsh, because I'm sure this took effort for you to set up, ECO. But when I look at this layout, I think "lobotomized". I may be rushing to judgment, but that is the feel I get.

Personally I would rather see something with better handling for threads than the current forum.

(I tried to post this using the new system and my current login/password was rejected. Not sure what is going on there.)

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
chaz81

I really like the newer format from stackexchange. I have an account on Stackoverflow and I have found it to be immensely helpful in ways I was not expecting. I think the main reason I like it is because its very convenient to browse certain areas I am interested in. I think the best way to describe this type of format is that it lets you show off to the world your knowledge both in asking and answering questions. If I see a great question or answer posted by someone, I can immediately go and see what else that person has posted and learn something I was not explicitly looking for. I feel its easier for me to learn more but there are also many benefits to a more linear discussion forum such as this one.
chaz81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
spenthil

Take a look at http://stackoverflow.com and http://meta.stackoverflow.com/ - you can *definitely* have discussions on this system (admittedly, this isn't obvious). The best part about this format is that useless comments get down voted and people with the same feelings don't have to repost cluttering up the question.

Actually - you can pretty much think of it as a message board with voting, commenting and (hopefully) less duplication.

e.g. http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questi...and-super-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
As an replacement for the current forums, I think this system would be detrimental to an aspect of seqanswers that I value.

Currently there is some possibility of having a public discussion on a given topic. I see the USENET-like back and forth of a discussion as a mechanism for coming to an understanding of a fairly complex issue.

I don't want to be too harsh, because I'm sure this took effort for you to set up, ECO. But when I look at this layout, I think "lobotomized". I may be rushing to judgment, but that is the feel I get.

Personally I would rather see something with better handling for threads than the current forum.

(I tried to post this using the new system and my current login/password was rejected. Not sure what is going on there.)

--
Phillip

Last edited by spenthil; 05-19-2010 at 10:22 AM.
spenthil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
sklages

User/Login/Statistic data seems not to be transferred, so I'd need to re-register??
sklages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
spenthil

Yup, fortunately it uses OpenID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklages View Post
User/Login/Statistic data seems not to be transferred, so I'd need to re-register??
Old 05-20-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklages View Post
Login info hasn't been transferred yet. Looks like I will have to pay someone to code either a single sign on or an import, and I want to just see how the community reacts first.

If we end up keeping both software packages, I will do my best to keep current forum credentials working on both sites (as I've done on the wiki).

Sorry for the hassle.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #9
cdragon
Professor of Health Informatic

I think that each thread occupies too much space with so many small buttons. The web page may be more informative and space efficient, if those buttons and the numbers on them are represented with just numbers in different colors.
cdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
sophykim

I've learned a lot here!!! Thanks all.
sophykim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #11
ffinkernagel

Is there an RSS-feed that I'm missing?
Otherwise, that would be the one feature I'd really like to see.
ffinkernagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #12
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffinkernagel View Post
Is there an RSS-feed that I'm missing?
Otherwise, that would be the one feature I'd really like to see.
Nope, you didn't miss it. Next release which is expected anytime now.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by spenthil View Post
Take a look at http://stackoverflow.com and http://meta.stackoverflow.com/ - you can *definitely* have discussions on this system (admittedly, this isn't obvious). The best part about this format is that useless comments get down voted and people with the same feelings don't have to repost cluttering up the question.

Actually - you can pretty much think of it as a message board with voting, commenting and (hopefully) less duplication.

e.g. http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questi...and-super-user
The lack of threading in this (vBulletin?) system does limit it. I'll give the new OSQA one a shot...

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
NextGenSeq

I like the format but couldn't post due to login issues.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextGenSeq View Post
I like the format but couldn't post due to login issues.
It's beta...so for now you need to re-register or just use OpenID (ie, click on one of the provider logos while logged into that provider). If we stick with it, forum logins will work.

Sorry for the hassle.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
wjeck

Any update on a possible merge with BioStar? They both seem to be continuing to cover very much the same material.
wjeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjeck View Post
Any update on a possible merge with BioStar? They both seem to be continuing to cover very much the same material.
No updates. Istvan and I have had a couple of conversations that started and ended positively, but with no concrete actions as of yet. I know he is (or was until very recently) out of the country so perhaps things will pick up again.

He has some good ideas about how to fund such a site, but that differ from how I've proceeded so far...so we have to reconcile those two things.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #18
bioinfosm

Pssst Eco: with this seqanswers forum down, is there much higher activity on the Q n A site? Hint for getting higher activity for a couple of days, so more people have feedback :P
Old 07-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
ECO
--Site Admin--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioinfosm View Post
Pssst Eco: with this seqanswers forum down, is there much higher activity on the Q n A site? Hint for getting higher activity for a couple of days, so more people have feedback :P
There was a bit higher traffic...but unfortunately in my quest to fix things I 1.) forgot I should've linked to the QnA site in my forum closure message, and 2.) broke the OSQA install.

It would be an interesting experiment to try, but I'm still not convinced that the QnA can replace the forums.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #20
xuhanhan

This is my first word on this forum
xuhanhan is offline   Reply With Quote