No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq Experimental Design

Hello,

My name is David Brohawn and I am new to RNA-Seq.

My advisor and I are interested in doing an RNA-Seq experiment to compare the transcriptomes of iPSC neurons we generate from both ALS patients and controls. Ultimately we would like to identify molecular phenotypes based on transcriptome expression profiles for different instances of ALS (much like how cancer researchers now identify underlying molecular phenotypes for different instances of a given cancer).

We are primarily interested in generating transcriptome profiles (involving both coding and non-coding RNA and novel transcripts), with a heavy interest in differential gene expression and less interest in mapping full transcript isoforms.

As I understand it, a greater number of small reads is best to assess differential gene expression (Solid and Illumina look most amenable to this), while a smaller number of long reads is best to assess isoforms (Roche and PacBio look most amenable to this).

I see the ENCODE project recommends “Experiments whose purpose is discovery of novel transcribed elements and strong quantification of known transcript isoforms… a minimum depth of 100-200 M 2 x 76 bp or longer reads is currently recommended.”

We plan on using Illumina Truseq total RNA prep kits followed by sequencing on the Illumina HiSeq 2500. An Illumina rep quoted 187 million reads per lane as typical output for a 2X100 run. If this is true, I am thinking we multiplex our 20 total samples (10 cases and controls) and run 11 total lanes which would average out to just over 100 million reads per sample.

We would then analyze the data with the Tuxedo Suite bioinformatics package (we may substitute STAR for Tophat and Bowtie), and visualize our data using CummeRbund.

We are considering purchasing a LINUX based machine or a Mac with these specs for processing:

CPU – 2 quad core processors
    HDD 8 TB – RAID assembly of 4 2-TB drives
    RAM – 24 GB of RAM
    GHz – 3.2 GHz

I have been told the number of reads per sample may be overkill given our goals, but I am really following ENCODEs recommendations. Do you all have any suggestions based on what I have reported?

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

Dave Brohawn

One of the great things about ENCODE was the amount of effort put into standardising how different groups did their experiments. As any cor...

You could run all 20 of your samples across 2 lanes and get somewhere approaching 20m reads per sample. This should be more than adequate for differential expression analysis.

Comment

Cross-posted. Please use the other thread since this one is in "Introductions": http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40453

Comment

Yup - didn't know how to change forums when I first signed up - Thank you for your help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses