Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is this build for bioinformatics? (esp. RNA-Seq)

Processor
    4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
    Operating system
    Windows 8.1 64
    Display
    15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080)
    Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Hard Drive
    1 TB (or 500 GB SSD)
    Optical Drive
    None
    Network Card
    Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
    Bluetooth
    Bluetooth Version 4.0
    Warranty
    One year
    Battery
    4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

==

I'm just wondering - how much does the graphics card matter? And what about SSD vs a rotating hard drive? I'm thinking of dual-booting both Unix and Windows.

First off, you should assume that Linux/Unix will be your primary OS, and design accordingly. Graphics does not matter. An SSD may be nice, but depending on how much sequence you will be dealing with, I would prioritize more storage; a 2TB drive minimum. Memory is also quite important; I'd go with 32GB minimum, and there's no upper limit for how much would be useful.

I would recommend a desktop system so you can jam more stuff in it more easily, be able to upgrade, and eliminate thermal / power limitations that will reduce performance.

But, that's all just in general. What is your planned use-case?

Comment

Okay - thanks very much for your feedback! I see...

Hmm - I'm new to bioinformatics so I don't have a precise idea of my planned use-case yet. I'm thinking of using RNA-Seq (with Tophat and Cufflinks), but I'll probably go further than that.

Couldn't I also make do with a 2 TB external hard drive instead?

Comment

Originally posted by InquilineKea View Post
        Couldn't I also make do with a 2 TB external hard drive instead?
        Yes, that's certainly a possibility, as long is it's connected through USB3.

Comment

Does this have to be a laptop? If the answer is yes, then comments below can be ignored.

If that is not the case then you could get a better deal with putting together a desktop config. If possible you should try to leverage central compute resources (at your institution) and get a nice/portable laptop to remotely connect to those resources.

A 4-cell battery with the core i7 processor/1080p screen and other stuff you have up there is not going to last very long. Have you also looked at what the overall weight is of that laptop?

Comment

Thanks for all the advice! Well, a laptop would be much preferred, though I could also look into a desktop. I don't care much for battery life.

So 32 GB RAM... Hmm - http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops...w-series/w540/ has a model with 32 GB RAM. Though admittedly, it would be nice to use it for gaming too. I don't care too much about graphics beyond the lowest settings, though I'd like to run GTA V and maybe some games of the future. I plan on dual-booting both Unix and Windows.

==

Could a model like http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8670-...wconfigure=yes be good for bioinformatics? (more on specs: http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8670.html )

==

Ultimately the bioinformatics datasets I'm looking into are ones used in aging (in particular, from https://www.liv.ac.uk/integrative-bi...-de-magalhaes/ )
            Last edited by InquilineKea; 02-08-2015, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses