X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Simple Rules for Getting Help from Online Scientific Communities!

This is a fantastic summary of how to interact with online communities in general. If you're new to online communities, please take the time to read the whole paper.

To summarize the 10 rules:
    1. Do not be afraid to ask a question
    2. State the question clearly
    3. New to a mailing list? Learn the established customs before posting
    4. Do not ask what has already been answered
    5. Always use a good title
    6. Do your homework before posting
    7. Proofread your post and write in correct English
    8. Be courteous to other forum members
    9. Remember that the archive of your discussion can be useful to other people
    10. Give back to the community

New

Hi, from Huntsville, AL. I work at Hudson Alpha Institute for Biotechnology and have read numerous threads related to projects I'm working on. Thanks to all!

Angela

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      This is a fantastic summary of how to interact with online communities in general. If you're new to online communities, please take the time to read the whole paper.

To summarize the 10 rules:

[...]

Do not ask what has already been answered
      On the other hand, if someone takes the time to post their gels/traces of an issue and otherwise post in an intelligible fashion, I think they deserve some slack on this point. There are lots of issues that look very similar to one another, but have different causes in sample prep.

Also, we rely heavily on kit lots that sometimes have issues that get past the company's QC. People asking questions about problems they are having is a source of information for others of us who might get stuck with a bum lot of a reagent.

And people working in the lab are probably not sitting in front of a computer screen 8 hours a day -- so they post less frequently. So again, I would give the bench-side questions more slack than computational ones.

Originally posted by ECO View Post
      Remember that the archive of your discussion can be useful to other people
      This is especially important to me. I generally do not answer questions asked me in PM's. If I am going to take the time to answer a question, I would like people other than the person posing the question to benefit from my answer as well.

I also want to encourage an ongoing discussion of bench protocols. There are lots of "standard" protocols, like alcohol precipitation of nucleic acids and phenol extractions, that really need 20 page protocols to specify all the caveats and failure modes that the master practitioner will be aware of, or at least equipped to handle.

--
      Phillip

Comment

Hi,

How do I post a forum question?

Comment

I would add a following point:

11) If you claim that something isn't working or that there is a problem, then it is incredibly useful to others if you post the error message that you are getting.

Comment

ok,that is fine!

Comment

very nice post i like it
              lydiaport

Comment

How do you create your own thread? Sorry a bit new to the forum
                Last edited by zizzlestick; 11-03-2014, 06:12 PM. Reason: wrong thread

Comment

In the upper-left corner of a forum is the "New Thread" button. You can't see it when viewing a specific thread. For example, go here:

New here? Stop in and introduce yourself. Where you are, what you work on, etc.

and it will be in the upper-left.

Comment

Originally posted by zizzlestick View Post
                    How do you create your own thread? Sorry a bit new to the forum

SeqAnswers.com --> Select Forums option on left --> Choose Appropriate forum --> "New Thread" button at top left of the page (after you select the forum you want to post in).

Comment

hi..
                      .how i do post fourm?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        hi..
                        .how i do post fourm?
                        Hmm. Well you just did.

As for how to post in the correct sub-forum use the directions in my post above yours.

Comment

Hello, dear SEQanswers community! I'm Alex from Berkeley, CA.

Comment

Hello, & Thank-you!

Hello all,
                            I'm a long time reader of SEQanwers, but new to posting. I absolutely love the guidelines to users! Thank-you for delineating them so clearly!

My background working in BioScience labs over the last 16 years started 1st as an undergrad Research Assistant, then as a grad student conducting my own research. My first job in science was 5 years as a Microbiologist in the North-West Regional Newborn Screening Program for the State of Oregon, followed by 5 years Supervising a Next Gen Sequencing (Illumina) Core Service lab at the University of Southern California Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Keck School of Medicine. This year I began as a Research Lab Coordinator for brand new PI Dr. Graham McVicker at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, CA.

Our lab studies Transcription Regulation in Immune Cells. My first project is to preform ATAC- and RNA-seq on Jurkat cells. As this will be my first foray into ATAC-seq, I'm hoping to glean insights into the protocol & process from anyone here with experience in this area.

I look forward to interacting with this community.
                            SeleneT

Comment

Hi my name is Bill Giles. I live in Camarillo, CA. I have a BS in Biology from 1982. Currently retired from a career in Medical Supply Industry I have an un-scratched itch in the region of genomics and bioinformatics. I am gobbling up courses in same on Coursera and other online platforms. I love what you do and am digging through all the hidden pearls on this site. Love to All.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                              0 responses