SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mapping Amplicon Reads to Reference svos Bioinformatics 2 04-24-2015 01:12 AM
Mapping reads to reference genome + count reads of genes cumulonimbus RNA Sequencing 12 10-02-2013 09:07 AM
Mapping to subsets of a transcriptome reference? RNAddict De novo discovery 0 08-13-2012 12:01 PM
mapping on to custom reference sequence PratikC Bioinformatics 13 04-03-2012 01:31 PM
Difficulty mapping reads with non-reference allele? krobison Genomic Resequencing 3 10-09-2009 11:48 AM

Old 10-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #1
hbn

Default Mapping genomic sequence reads to transcriptome reference?

Hello,

I would like to know whether it would be sensible to map genomic sequence reads to a reference transcriptome for SNP and indel calling. I would think that this is not a very good idea, but I don't have any experience to back this up. Of course, due to your intron-exon boundaries you would get a lot of read clipping. I am hoping someone has experience with this saying whether this yields any good results.

The obvious solution seems to be to assemble the genomic sequence reads, but due to the size and complexity of the genome this does not yield anything valuable.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
hbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
brianytsui

It depends in large on the question that you are trying to address. For example, just like what u suggested, intron-exon could be a concern if u are worried abt the SNPs at the splice junctions, where mapping to reference transciptome simplify this issue as it supposedly provides all the full transcripts, but has the problem of high read to target position multi-mapping if the tool is not adjusted for that.

But you are not familiar with how the tools behave, I would highly recommend to go with GATK RNA-seq SNP calling pipeline.
brianytsui is offline   Reply With Quote