SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BluePippin use w/ Nextera Kits smoics Illumina/Solexa 1 09-28-2018 06:10 AM
BluePippin Size Marker 18-27kb MesutOezil Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 12-19-2014 05:48 PM
BluePippin issue matth431 General 0 11-25-2014 03:13 AM
PippinPrep for TruSeq small RNA library selection visserm Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 09-26-2013 09:36 AM
Fragment isolation: PippinPrep vs. LabChip XT pmiguel Sample Prep / Library Generation 19 10-26-2012 06:52 PM

Old 10-31-2018, 04:06 AM   #1
cement_head

Default BluePippin vs PippinPrep

Hello,

Initially SAGE marketed the PippinPrep, and later the BluePippin. These were targeted at two different size selection schemes (90 - 1500 bp) and BP for large fragments. Recently, the BluePippin has been listed as now being able to do fragments starting from 100 bp upwards to 50 Kbp.

Here's my question: Does the BluePippin now do everything that the PippinPrep can do? Or are there resolution/recovery differences between the two, even though they are listed as being able to recovery virtually the same size fragments?

Insight from people who either have both, or have used both is most welcome.

Thanks
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
Hello,

Initially SAGE marketed the PippinPrep, and later the BluePippin. These were targeted at two different size selection schemes (90 - 1500 bp) and BP for large fragments. Recently, the BluePippin has been listed as now being able to do fragments starting from 100 bp upwards to 50 Kbp.

Here's my question: Does the BluePippin now do everything that the PippinPrep can do? Or are there resolution/recovery differences between the two, even though they are listed as being able to recovery virtually the same size fragments?

Insight from people who either have both, or have used both is most welcome.

Thanks
We purchased a BluePippin long ago and it has always had the ability to resolve both long and short fragments, dependent upon which gel cassette and program was run. What the BluePippin has that the regular PippinPrep doesn't is the ability to perform Pulse Field Electrophoresis for resolution of larger molecules.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
cement_head

Yeah, okay - but is the recovery of smaller (< 1.5 Kbp) bands from the PippinPrep better?
cement_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:32 AM   #4
nucacidhunter
Jafar Jabbari

There is not any practical noticeable difference, though I have not done any systematic comparison.
nucacidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
kmcarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cement_head View Post
Yeah, okay - but is the recovery of smaller (< 1.5 Kbp) bands from the PippinPrep better?
I have only ever used the BluePippin so can't make a comparison. I can say that I regularly isolated 200bp fragments using the BluePippin and was more than satisfied with the results.
kmcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluepippin, dna size selection, pippin prep, sage science