No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effects of total RNA fragmentation on small RNAs

Hello,
    I want to sequence enriched RNA (it will include both mRNAs and bacterial small non-coding RNAs (<200 nt)). I would like to fragment long RNAs to ~100-200 nt fragments before library preparation however I am afraid that small RNAs will be fragmented too and I will lose it after cutting required length RNAs from the gel (I am planning to cut 150-350 bp fragments already with adapters). My fragmentation buffer is 10 mM Tris-HCl (pH 7.4) and 10 mM ZnCl2, reaction conditions: 75 °C for 2.5 min.
    RNAs I want to sequence are not abundant - every loss of RNA sample should be avoided!
    Maybe someone has experience with the fragmentation of total RNA? Does it affect small RNAs, is it severely fragmented? Would it be better for me to prepare different libraries - one for small RNAs, another - for long RNAs?
    Thank you for your time and answer!

I assume chemical fragmentation will affect the small fragments to the same degree as the big ones.
    If you have an opportunity to sonicate samples? Small fragments are pretty safe from shearing.

Another way to achieve that might be size selection (SPRI-beads) and separate fragmentation of the large fragments. Obviously, this will entail losses and add complexity.

You might want to have a look at the Biorad Sequoia and Diagenode D-plex library prep kits for both short and long RNAs.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses