No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range of DNA (ng) Necessary for Illumina Sequencing

Hello,

I'm attempting SIP-metagenomics and the limiting factor is the quantity of DNA I will recover for sequencing. So far I'm able to recover ~30ng of enriched DNA (which is not bad!), but estimates for paired-end, Illumina Hi-Seq say minimum 500ng. Now, I'm caught balancing between whether to do whole genome amplification or pool multiple SIP-DNA runs to get as close to 500ng as possible. The latter is costly in time and reagent, but would likely produce a less biased sequence library. I am wondering whether anyone has advice on that, AND, more importantly, what the lower limits for quantity of DNA are for Illumina library prep?

Thanks in advance,

Roli

ChIP-Seq libraries are constructed from 1-10ng input DNA. You could adapt the protocol for your application.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I looked up ChIP-Seq and found that it employs special sequencing methodology (cluster sequencing) which seems like an extra amplification step of bound DNA. The whole ChIP part of the process isn't useful in my case b/c I'm looking at total DNA (not specific components bound or bindable to protein). Still, you're comment is helpful b/c it suggests there is alternative technology to MDA.

Comment

All Illumina sequencing uses cluster generation, so your objection is unclear. Perhaps it would be useful for you to review the technology. And you misunderstood my reference to ChIP-Seq; the salient point is that it's feasible to construct libraries from small amounts of input DNA without amplification.

Comment

Yep! Thanks for the info! I did get your point and, as anyone new to sequencing technology knows, it can be difficult to get to heart of the subject b/c every answer is tempered towards a specific application and every webpage (at least @ Illumina) is selling a different kit and their selling points don't generalize easily.

Comment

Hey,

If you are using the TruSeq library prep kit, than yes, 500ng of DNA is the recommended input. However, if you use Illumina's Nextera or Nextera XT library prep kits, the required input is 50ng and 1ng respectively. The protocols are also much quicker and easier.

Nextera Product Info: http://www.illumina.com/products/nex..._prep_kit.ilmn

Hope that helps.

Best, Steve

Comment

Great! Thanks Steve!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses