Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whole Blood RNA-Seq Libraries and globins

I am planning to prepare some RNA-Seq libraries using RNA derived from whole blood (Bos taurus) extracted using the Tempus system from Applied Biosystems. I am concerned that the libraries will contain a large number of transcripts derived from globin mRNA. I have two questions
    1 Does anyone have an estimate of the percentage of transcripts that will align to globin?
    2 Does anyone have any opinions/advice on the best way to remove the globins either using a globin specific kit or a DNS method.

All advice welcomed.

This paper may help: http://www.springerlink.com/content/c44u853010k2p610/

I haven't tried this approach myself but I would be interested to hear if it works.

Comment

In humans, about 70% of mRNA from blood is hemoglobin. My colleagues and I have tried DSN and successfully removed hemoglobin and ribosomal transcripts from total blood RNA, however other abundant transcripts are also affected by the treatment.
      There is a service provider http://www.prognosysbio.com that will do the DSN treatment for you, and their website has some useful info on the protocol. We have not used the service.

Comment

How about RBC lysis before extracting your RNA?

Comment

GLOBINclear

I have used the GLOBINclear kit (Ambion/Life Tech) to reduce globin mRNA (HBA1/HBB) in total RNA from human blood. In my experience, most of the time the reduction works and you see less than 5% globin content after mapping. Other times the globin content can remain as high as 50% of total gene "counts". No matter how careful the reduction protocol is carried out it's still a mystery to me as to why it produces inconsistent results.
          Last edited by lmolokin; 09-17-2012, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I found this recently published paper discussion on effect on transcripts detection after globin removal. Might be useful to you guys.

They use GLOBINclear kit (Ambion/Life Tech) for globin removal.

Comment

Thank you for pointing out this paper.

Comment

Hey Guys,

I am aiming to perform RNA-seq from human Neutrophils. I am taking peripheral blood and the enriching for Neutrophils ( Ficoll+ NH4cl and also tried Ficoll+dextran and even tried Ficoll+hypotonic treatment). In all cases I am getting good enrichment (measured in Heamatology cell analyser, CBC count). Then I went on to isolate the total RNA from the neutrophil enriched pellet. Trizol+Ambion kit. Checked in bioanalyser they are degraged. I am not getting whats going wrong. 10 ml blood, so there are heaps of cells. Any idea, advice please.

Comment

I also use GLOBINclear from Ambion and I have no problem with this kit. I work on human whole blood in Tempus tube and do total RNA extraction with ABI kit or the ABI MagMax. Then, I deplete globin mRNA with the GLOBINclear kit. And finally, I use TruSeq RNA sample preparation kit from Illumina. The GLOBINclear kit uses oligos which hybridize to Globin mRNA, and streptavidin magnetic beads which hybridize to oligos. So you can remove it with a magnetic stand.

Comment

Globin Contamination

Just to follow up on my first question, we went ahead with library preparation without any globin removal and the results are excellent with tiny amounts of globin contamination(>0.5%). It seems that globin contamination in Bos taurus is not the same problems as in humans due to the very small numbers of reticulocytes present in healthy cows compared to some other mammals.

Comment

Originally posted by aniruddha.otago View Post
                      Hey Guys,

I am aiming to perform RNA-seq from human Neutrophils. I am taking peripheral blood and the enriching for Neutrophils ( Ficoll+ NH4cl and also tried Ficoll+dextran and even tried Ficoll+hypotonic treatment). In all cases I am getting good enrichment (measured in Heamatology cell analyser, CBC count). Then I went on to isolate the total RNA from the neutrophil enriched pellet. Trizol+Ambion kit. Checked in bioanalyser they are degraged. I am not getting whats going wrong. 10 ml blood, so there are heaps of cells. Any idea, advice please.
                      If you are after reference RNA seq dataset the Blueprint consortium released at least 6 samples, plus 200 will follow.

If you are interested in the protocol I think they have it online on their website and apparently they do trizol and then precipitate it with RIN>8.5

Comment

We have recently launched a stranded RNA-Seq kit developed specifically for working with human whole blood total RNA. The workflow minimizes globin and rRNA sequencing reads by targeted depletion of the adaptor ligated library. We have data available from Human PAXgene samples here - http://www.nugeninc.com/nugen/index....ore/encore-wb/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                        • seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                        0 responses