No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Love View Post
    hi rozitaa,

The issue here is that there are more animals in certain tissues. So when the R function model.matrix tries to form the model matrix internal to the DESeq() function, this results in a column of zeros for the nested animal 6, tissue A combination for example.

There is an easy solution though. In the next release of Bioconductor, which will be released 17 April 2015, and has DESeq2 v1.8, you can provide a custom model matrix to DESeq(). (You can test the development version of DESeq2 v1.7 already, but this requires downloading the development version of R, and this is not impossible but not always easy.)

So all you need to do is to remove these interaction columns which have no samples:

Code:
    design <- ~ gut_microbiota + gut_microbiota:animal.nested + gut_microbiota:tissue
    mm <- model.matix(design, data=colData(dds))
    ## remove columns of mm which have all zeros:
    (all.zero <- apply(mm, 2, function(x) all(x == 0)))
    mm <- mm[, !all.zero]
    dds <- DESeq(dds, design=mm, betaPrior=FALSE)
    We do have to turn off the log2 fold change shrinkage for this options though (betaPrior=FALSE). But the inference and results tables work the same.

Thanks a lot Micheal! I got the idea!

The only problem that I have now is I am using HTSeq-count data this my code:
    Code:
    design <- ~ gut_microbiota + gut_microbiota:animal.nested + gut_microbiota:tissue
    mm <- model.matrix(design, data=sample_table)
    (all.zero <- apply(mm, 2, function(x) all(x == 0)))
    mm <- as.data.frame(mm[, !all.zero])
    dds = DESeqDataSetFromHTSeqCount(sampleTable=sample_table, directory='~/htseq/', design=mm)
    But I get an error:
    Code:
    Error in terms.default(object, data = data) : 
      no terms component nor attribute
    Is it because of the way I am fitting the design matrix into the htseq-count data?

Comment

So, again, you'll only be able to do this custom model matrix in version 1.8.

packageVersion("DESeq2")

Additionally, you can only provide the matrix to the 'full' argument of DESeq(). In order to construct a DESeqDataSet object, you can use design=~1, because this will be ignored and the custom matrix will be used instead.
      Last edited by Michael Love; 03-31-2015, 05:46 AM.

Comment

So, again, you'll only be able to do this custom model matrix in version 1.8.

packageVersion("DESeq2")

Additionally, you can only provide the matrix to DESeq(). In order to construct a DESeqDataSet object, you can use design=~1, because this will be ignored and the custom matrix will be used instead.
        I see!! I cannot wait till April 17th since I have deadline. And it is hard for me to install the developmental version of R! Is there any other solution for my problem?

Comment

"Now I would like to see DE genes resulted from comparing of every gut_microbiota status (B, C, D, E) to the baseline (A) on each tissue separately."

Sorry, reading over your column data and question more carefully, I realized that this advice about nesting doesn't apply to your experimental design. The nesting approach works for experimental designs where the comparison of interest is nested within individuals/animal. For example if you wanted to compare tissue differences for each microbiota. However, you want to compare microbiota differences for each tissue. The problem for analysis with the nesting approach is that you cannot control for the animal-specific effects and compare across microbiota, because these variables are confounded. Whereas, animal and tissue are not confounded, which allows the nesting approach to work.

I'd recommend you subset each tissue into 3 DESeqDataSets and run a design of ~ gut_microbiota for each.

Comment

I'd recommend you subset each tissue into 3 DESeqDataSets and run a design of ~ gut_microbiota for each.
            Thanks a lot Micheal!

Comment

Also, I had to update that custom line of size factor code for when all rows have a zero. If you were using that line of code to avoid the issue that all rows of your count matrix have one or more zeros, you should get the edited version:

We're implementing a solution here which was on the list of todos for a while now, but it won't be out for 6 months. Typical RNA-Seq doesn't have this issue, but since phyloseq we are seeing more metagenomics datasets which often have no genes without a zero.
              Hi there,

I have a metatranscriptomic dataset where every gene has at least one zero count. I tried the geoMeans function you've supplied via the link, but I keep getting the following error:

Code:
              dds = estimateSizeFactors(dds, geoMeans=geoMeans)
              Error in if (any(value <= 0)) { : missing value where TRUE/FALSE needed
              This is using DESeq2 1.8.1 on R 3.2.

Happy to provide a MRE if you like.

Lauren

Comment

what does summary(geoMeans) give you?
                Last edited by Michael Love; 06-23-2015, 05:28 AM. Reason: replying to wrong post

Comment

what does summary(geoMeans) give you?
                  Code:
                  summary(geoMeans)
                     Min. 1st Qu.  Median    Mean 3rd Qu.    Max. 
                    1.414   2.289   2.828   3.731   4.000  28.650

Comment

Another test (I suspect there is a column with all zeros):

table(colSums(counts(dds)) == 0)

Comment

Another test (I suspect there is a column with all zeros):

table(colSums(counts(dds)) == 0)
                      You're right, there is one sample with all zeros. Thanks.
                      Last edited by lbragg; 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                      • seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                      0 responses