SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biologists who want to do ChIP-Seq analysis ltyang Bioinformatics 2 06-06-2011 01:21 PM
Statistics for Biologists [email protected] Events / Conferences 0 06-07-2010 06:41 AM
What normal biologists are up to Joann Literature Watch 0 02-16-2010 10:33 AM
Analyzing NGS-data for dummies/biologists: suggestions for software? MicroOmicsMan Bioinformatics 6 12-22-2009 07:46 PM
Computational Biologists and Informaticians - Oxford Nanopore Technologies, UK Oxford Nanopore Industry Jobs! 0 03-05-2009 07:51 AM

Old 08-11-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
Inti

Default Bioinformatics for Biologists?

Hello guys!
Can any of you suggest some basic readings on how to start to learn basic bioinformatics to work with solexa data. I'm biologist and my bioinformatics knowledge is cero and I want to start to understand more about it.
Thanks for your help!!!
Inti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #2
Nix

I'm all for throwing oneself off the end of a pier. Why not just start analyzing your data?

Get a real specific question, address the immediate problems, learn the immediate techniques, and do it. There's a tremendous amount of literature regarding "Bioinformatics." It's a big field with numerous specialties.

A good starting point is to pick up some Unix/Linux/MacOS command line skills. This is sort of the gateway to any cutting edge analysis. There's numerous tutorials on the web, see http://bioserver.hci.utah.edu/BioInf....php/Tutorials for some links.

Second, read up on exactly what you would like to do? Are you running chIP-seq, RNA-seq, SNP discovery? What ever it is, each data type has its own set of tools. Perform a literature search and Google for task specific resources. If they are worth anything the authors have put together tutorials and usage guides.

Good luck!
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Inti

Hey Nix!

Thanks for the reply, I'm now taking the tutorial and is great until now!
Inti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
MQ-BCBB

Default Unix basics

Hello,

Check this link that someone forwarded to me recently for an introduction to Unix and Perl for biologists. It is very well written and include other course materials. It is based on a series of lectures given previously at UCDavis. It is specially designed for those working on MacOS X.

http://korflab.ucdavis.edu/Unix_and_Perl/index.html

Mariam.
MQ-BCBB is offline   Reply With Quote